Asking to push internship to the fall? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Connor Benz

Bronze

Asking to push internship to the fall?

Post by Connor Benz » Wed May 07, 2014 1:54 pm

I am currently waiting for my clearance from the government. I have a tentative start date for next week. However, I am not sure that I will get cleared and I was recently asked for some information this week so I gave it to them. So I know that my file is being reviewed. I was wondering if it would be in bad taste at this point for me to ask if I can possibly work during the fall instead and take a summer position in my home state? The reason being is that the start date is tentative and I do not think they are going to rush the process in order for them to have a decision for me by next week. So I figured, it would be better for me to ask to work in the fall and if they say no, can I ask to have my file pulled - even though I told them that I would work for them?

Help, please!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Asking to push internship to the fall?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 07, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm confused. Do you have a job in your home state that you want to take instead and you're looking for a reason/excuse to ditch the government gig? If so, when did you apply for it and find out about it? Do you want to withdraw because you don't think you'll pass the clearance, or for some other reason? If you don't think you'll pass now, why would you pass in the fall? And presumably you're not getting paid for the government gig, so why does it matter whether you start now or in two weeks or whenever the clearance gets done?

Personally, I think it would be in poor taste to back out now - not that they're relying on you for anything, I just think it looks flaky to bail the week before you're supposed to start. But that's in part because I don't quite get your reasons for bailing.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Wed May 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Agreed w/ above. I'm a bit confused too.
It would look reeeeeally bad to bail right now, and you'd likely be burning bridges for no good reason as far as I can tell.

dead head

Bronze

Post by dead head » Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 am

I think he's simply saying he doesn't think he will be cleared by his start date, which is why he is thinking of pushing back the internship to the fall. But unless he already has something lined up in his home state — and I don't know why he would — I'm not sure that pushing back the internship will result in having a more productive summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”