Outside corporate counsel Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kcam1991

Bronze

Outside corporate counsel

Post by kcam1991 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:15 pm

How do you find out what firms represent a certain corporation. Is this publicly accessible info?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Re: Outside corporate counsel

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:44 pm

The best way I can think of is to do a search for the company name on LexisAdvance, limit the results to 'Legal News,' and if --if necessary -- limit the source to 'Law360.' Law360 articles always mention the firm representing the company at the bottom. Of course, that only works for practice areas that regularly make the news (litigation, M&A).

Would be interested to know if there are any better ways.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:03 pm

If it's a big enough corporation than you can search for the company name on Westlaw and see who has represented them in recent actions. I work at a bank and we use quite a few different firms depending on the subject matter, ranging from V10 to small 30 people firms. I just looked my bank up on Westlaw and I had no idea we even use some of the firms that came up, FWIW.

kcam1991

Bronze

Post by kcam1991 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will try both methods and see what I can find.

El_Bee_Oh

New

Post by El_Bee_Oh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:09 pm

If you have access to Capital IQ through school or work you can look up a firm and see who they've advised on recent transactions. This only works for corporate stuff though.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 am

Large corporations seldom have one firm representing them. The model is now to spread the work around. Some of the engagements are or become public, some aren't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”