Lawyers: What's Your Typical Day?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gaddockteeg

Re: Lawyers: What's Your Typical Day?

Postby gaddockteeg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:17 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:I felt like I needed to add a contribution because the other junior big law associate days look pretty terrible and I'm fairly certain there is either (1) some exaggeration going on, (2) contributors picking atypical days, or (3) my firm is the best firm in the world.

I am in a v20 in DC, doing white collar litigation/investigations work.

While there isn't a typical day, my life yesterday was:

Wake up at 8:30am.
930-10: get to work and check emails and respond to immediate things. Also BS around by reading/skimming random articles about legal developments that are somewhat related to my practice area.
10-2: Morning/noon is when I'm most productive and sharpest so I usually work from 10 until lunch on the whatever the most difficult task of the day is. Yesterday, this was researching some really off topic issue for an expert rebuttal report and drafting a memo.
2-3: I fired off the short memo to the senior associate at 2 and then went to lunch with a friend of mine who works at bigfed. I find that its a lot easier to coordinate lunch with bigfed folks than my big law friends. We had scheduled for lunch at 1:30 (nothing fancy, chipotle) but I didn't finish in time so we pushed to 2:15 and my friend was very willing to accommodate. I go to lunch with colleagues/friends around 2-3x a week. I think it helps me stay in touch with folks and i partly see it as a future investment.
3-330: Back to my office at 3. I respond to a senior associate's quesiton about a random doc and I hunt thorugh our document productions to answer his question.
330-4: I'm pretty active in ABA so I have a phone conference about an ABA thing @330.
4-6: 3-6 in general is when I'm least productive so I save things like doc review and the like for this time. Yesterday I worked on dioscovery responses from 4-6.
6-730: After 6 is usually when I feel productive/sharp again. Yesterday I used this time to incorporate the memo and senior aossicate's comments on it, into the rebuttal report.
730: I go home. My office clears out by 6:30p and I usually stay later than most.
730-9: I'm at the gym. It's a block from the office and on the way home. I love working out and go to the gym 4x a week (2x M-F and then both sat and sun). I used to play rugby religiously so I don't feel right if I haven't been in the gym in awhile. I don't play anymore but I still squat heavy, deadlift often and bench 300+ for reps (non-humble brag). On non-gym days, I get home at 7:45.
915: I get home and eat while I'm on the computer. I usually tie up loose ends from 9:15 until 10.
10-11: I use this time to do tasks around the apartment. laundry, light cleaning, online shopping, etc. I just got engaged earlier this summer so lately I've been spending this time with wedding invites.
11-12: I always watch mindless TV (currently watching the office reruns on Netflix) to help me turn my brain off before sleeping.

What's a non-gym day? Jk this sounds pretty chill. What year are you?

Haha just a day I don't go to the gym. I'm in my 2nd or 3rd year (don't want to say exactly bc I forgot to post anon.)

Damage Over Time

Postby Damage Over Time » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm

After reading a ton of TLS, I didn't think any biglaw people got > 8 hours sleep ever, sounds pretty awesome

dotbun

Postby dotbun » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Associate In-House Counsel for a Real Estate Development Company in SF Bay Area. In my 2nd year.

7AM: Alarm, check emails for 15 minutes to make sure there are no fire drills that need my attention. Shower and get dressed.
8AM-8:40: Leave SF and cross the bridge, get to work.
8:40-10:30: Check emails and respond to emails I quickly know the answers to (mostly from business side of the office about current deals).
10:30-noon: Work on revisions to major pending leases (if any), meet with General Counsel to go over our to-do list for the day, get interrupted by VP and/or Owner/President with dumb requests (hey can we put X use in our property per the CC&Rs?).
noon-1:30: Lunch time when everyone is out of the office. Typically I grab a quick lunch and head back to my office to eat while on FB, Buzzfeed, online shopping. If something important is happening from the AM, I usually hit up a drive-thru, eat super quick, and then back to work.
1:30-5pm: Coordinate any real estate closings, answer more emails, finish PSA summaries (if any), finish revisions to lease (if any), meet with business guys and/or Owner/General Counsel on pending deals. Sometimes conference calls with Tenant's counsel and/or outside counsel.
5-6pm: Discuss finished projects with General Counsel, get his approval before sending it out. By 6pm, usually everyone is gone except for General Counsel and I. This is typically our time to catch up and discuss any major issues we had throughout the day.
6:30-6:45pm: Leave work.
7:15pm: Arrive at my condo with dinner prepared by the boyfriend. Eat dinner, cuddle with my doggos, watch TV. Answer any emails that come in from General Counsel, President, or VP (typically quick emails, usually nothing that requires me to get on my computer and remote in).
11pm-12am: Go to sleep.

My day-to-day tasks vary greatly, but I pretty much run on the same schedule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:After reading a ton of TLS, I didn't think any biglaw people got > 8 hours sleep ever, sounds pretty awesome

I may post a full one soon, but I'm a lit junior at a NYC V20 known for working associates hard, and it really hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected, most weeks. Most weeks I probably work around 50 hours (worked, not billed). Of course there are outliers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:43 pm

No IP Tech Trans junior associates willing to weigh in?

gaddockteeg

Postby gaddockteeg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:After reading a ton of TLS, I didn't think any biglaw people got > 8 hours sleep ever, sounds pretty awesome

I may post a full one soon, but I'm a lit junior at a NYC V20 known for working associates hard, and it really hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected, most weeks. Most weeks I probably work around 50 hours (worked, not billed). Of course there are outliers.

100% my impression when I started too. I think people exaggerate how bad it is.

Return to “Legal Employment”