Lawyers: What's Your Typical Day?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jkpolk

Re: Lawyers: What's Your Typical Day?

Postby jkpolk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 am

blueapple wrote:
jkpolk wrote:Corporate law - I roll with it. If it's bad, I work all day and all night until it's OK again. If it's good, I don't do dick, I go to the frying pan and i fucking rage. You can do that forever if you're the right person (i.e the person who can last in corporate).

While I'm sure this is illuminating for people seeking out this thread, perhaps I could point you to the OP?

I thought it would be great if current lawyers could offer similarly in-depth explanations for the practice area that they are currently in. The idea would be that these explanations could be catalogued so that future law students who are looking at different practice groups can understand what those practice groups actually do and be able to figure out what they think is most interesting and/or suited to their talents.

as if any of this has any content

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Jesus you guys wake up early. Ill probably post a more detailed one later but:

NYC v20 lit second year

9-930 wake up hungover
10-1030 get to office
1015ish to 1 deal with emails and firedrills. Eat lunch.
1 to 8ish do whatever I actually need to do and hope I don't get pulled into another fire drill. Eat free dinner at office. Busy days make it like 10 or 11 or later.
After: go to bar by apt, drink too much and stay too late.
Then repeat.

Rockwell99

Postby Rockwell99 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Non-NYC BigLaw: would your firms frown upon an 8:30-6:30 (at least) schedule?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Rockwell99 wrote:Non-NYC BigLaw: would your firms frown upon an 8:30-6:30 (at least) schedule?

are you saying you won't work outside of that time? if so then yes, obviously. biglaw isn't a normal job, that cannot be stressed enough. you don't have a time you leave or stop working, you stop working when the work is done

Rockwell99

Postby Rockwell99 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:45 pm

5ky wrote:
Rockwell99 wrote:Non-NYC BigLaw: would your firms frown upon an 8:30-6:30 (at least) schedule?

are you saying you won't work outside of that time? if so then yes, obviously. biglaw isn't a normal job, that cannot be stressed enough. you don't have a time you leave or stop working, you stop working when the work is done

No, just face time schedule.

ur_hero

Postby ur_hero » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Nope. Most lawyers aren't in yet at 8:30, and the office is usually cleared out by 6:30.

notDINGBAT

Postby notDINGBAT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:29 pm

8:00 am - get to work, review emails
8:15 am - (a) client meeting, or (b) review case files
10:00 am - (a) client meetings, or (b) review case files
12:00 am - lunch (preferably a networking lunch)
1:00 pm - (a) client meetings, or (b) plan business development
3:00 pm - (a) client meetings, or (b) plan business development
5:00 pm - go home

on average, once a week I work evenings or weekends on business development
There's also paperwork or clerical stuff, but there's enough gaps in the day to get that covered.

What's not reflected is CLE. This isn't a regular thing, so it's just a matter of carving out a few hours or days from the calendar

Altogether, I got a pretty sweet deal

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:16 pm

What's your job? I assume associate in a small law firm but that schedule is crazy if so.

notDINGBAT

Postby notDINGBAT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 pm

Danger Zone wrote:What's your job? I assume associate in a small law firm but that schedule is crazy if so.

Associate about to make partner in a small firm. Turns out I'm really good at generating business, so most of my job involves getting clients in the door and retaining them - while I I foist the grunt work onto others.

More often than not, I provide minimal oversight, though every so often I actually need to keep on top of things, or need to get into the weeds.
Last edited by notDINGBAT on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:49 pm

lol

Return to “Legal Employment”