Lawyers: What's Your Typical Day?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mickfromgm

Re: Lawyers: What's Your Typical Day?

Postby Mickfromgm » Sun May 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Lasers wrote:i got lucky. i previously held a stressful job, but i've been with my current firm for about a year and it has been great.

i stroll into the office at 9:45-ish. on a typical day, i'll play madden mobile for an hour, i'll check in on my dating apps for about half an hour, i take an hour lunch, and i'll chit chat with my co-workers for about a half hour/an hour.

the rest of the time, i'll be on the phone making any necessary calls (opposing counsel or clients), sending out discovery, writing motions, or doing legal research. i'll be in mediation about once every 1-2 months, and i have a court hearing about once every month or two. i work weekends about once or twice every three months (mostly if there's a class cert motion).

Now you've done it -- your inbox will be full of resumes from the TLS users. lol

stannis

Postby stannis » Sun May 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Lasers wrote:i got lucky. i previously held a stressful job, but i've been with my current firm for about a year and it has been great.

i stroll into the office at 9:45-ish. on a typical day, i'll play madden mobile for an hour, i'll check in on my dating apps for about half an hour, i take an hour lunch, and i'll chit chat with my co-workers for about a half hour/an hour.

the rest of the time, i'll be on the phone making any necessary calls (opposing counsel or clients), sending out discovery, writing motions, or doing legal research. i'll be in mediation about once every 1-2 months, and i have a court hearing about once every month or two. i work weekends about once or twice every three months (mostly if there's a class cert motion).

Wow. What time do you leave? How's the salary? Billables?

stannis

Postby stannis » Sun May 07, 2017 5:52 pm

abogadesq wrote:New job. Totally different schedule than in my last job (litigator).

6:30: wake up; make breakfast, pack my lunch, and look decent
8:00: get to work; after the typical morning chit chat, begin the long slog of reviewing case files on a computer screen.
12:00: break for lunch; the head and eye pains from staring at the computer screen haven't started yet, but I can feel the strain.
12:45: back to reviewing again or start writing on the case.
2:00: head starts to hurt now; I can see my eyes red in the bathroom mirror. I have to get up and drink water every 45 minutes to relieve the pain.
5:00: review my work product and turn in anything completed to my supervisor.
5:45: arrive home light-headed and with a throbbing headache; this is relieved with evening exercise and tea.

It's hardly the longest day you can have. It's the sedentary work involving looking at a screen for hours and hours that gets me. Ugh.

Damn, that sounds pretty brutal. Have you been to an eye dr recently?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun May 07, 2017 8:56 pm

stannis wrote:

Wow. What time do you leave? How's the salary? Billables?

75% of the time i'm out by 6:30; sometimes i'll leave by 6pm or other times i'll have something to do until 7 or 7:30 at latest. no hard billables (plaintiff side has its perks), but i try to hit 6-8 hours a day depending on the day and what needed to be done.

salary is very good for how little i work. base salary is about half biglaw market but with a very, very generous year end bonus (about double cravath's bonus for my year) that is always awarded. to be honest, my situation is very atypical for any firm, especially plaintiff-side firms. we're very small but 85% of our caseload consists of class actions/representative actions. i still apply to biglaw firms just to see if i can get an interview and to try to gauge how much money they could theoretically offer, though i don't know if i'd leave my situation even if i could.

abogadesq

Postby abogadesq » Sun May 07, 2017 9:58 pm

stannis wrote:
abogadesq wrote:New job. Totally different schedule than in my last job (litigator).

8:00: get to work; after the typical morning chit chat, begin the long slog of reviewing case files on a computer screen.
12:00: break for lunch; the head and eye pains from staring at the computer screen haven't started yet, but I can feel the strain.
2:00: head starts to hurt now; I can see my eyes red in the bathroom mirror. I have to get up and drink water every 45 minutes to relieve the pain.
5:45: arrive home light-headed and with a throbbing headache; this is relieved with evening exercise and tea.

It's hardly the longest day you can have. It's the sedentary work involving looking at a screen for hours and hours that gets me. Ugh.

No, but I'm definitely going to go if it gets worse. On top of it, I think staring so long has made my eyesight worse. Law school all over again, lol

FullRamboLSGrad

Postby FullRamboLSGrad » Wed May 10, 2017 10:07 am

abogadesq wrote:
stannis wrote:

No, but I'm definitely going to go if it gets worse. On top of it, I think staring so long has made my eyesight worse. Law school all over again, lol

Have you considered getting a new monitor? I had a really blurry cheap one that was giving me headaches (the awful fluorescent lights in my office didn't help) but then I complained and got two brand new large monitors with very good display. No headaches.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2017 8:29 am

abogadesq wrote:
stannis wrote:

It's hardly the longest day you can have. It's the sedentary work involving looking at a screen for hours and hours that gets me. Ugh

Try googling computer glasses on amazon. They block out the blue light from screens- some are hideous but some you can only see a light yellow tint. Game changers! I can't look at my screen without them now!

Return to “Legal Employment”