Entire summer as an RA good or bad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Entire summer as an RA good or bad?

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 pm

The difference is that you get paid for RA positions, whereas with unpaid positions (DA/PD, judges, other gov't) you have to figure out some way to cover your summer expenses without any additional loan money.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:20 pm

I know someone who RA'd for one professor and got an offer from one of the uber-selective litigation boutiques (Kellog/Susman/Bartlit/Keker), etc. Didn't seem to hurt him/her.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Biglaw just doesn't seem to care all that much about your 1L job as long as it's legal. Maybe in a world where grades/school weren't such strong differentiators for biglaw then 1L job may matter, but we aren't in that world. Does it necessarily make sense to treat someone who managed to snag a V10 SA and an offer to return the same as someone who RAed? Maybe not, but firms do treat them the same.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:29 pm

I think the main problem with RAing for the summer is the implication that you couldn't find anything else. As long as you can articulate exactly why this was your choice for the summer (paid, connection with professor, interesting work) and how hard you worked, I think you'd be okay. It would help if you had some pre-law school experience, too. If you don't, I would honestly try as hard as possible to find anything that would be more "professional" work experience and is somewhat selective. I also think people are assuming too much about grades. If you have good grades, it might not matter. If you don't have good grades, being an RA does not help you at all, whereas a more prestigious summer job could get you better networking opportunities and looks better on a resume. JMHO.

lawhopeful10

Silver

Post by lawhopeful10 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:50 pm

piccolittle wrote:I think the main problem with RAing for the summer is the implication that you couldn't find anything else. As long as you can articulate exactly why this was your choice for the summer (paid, connection with professor, interesting work) and how hard you worked, I think you'd be okay. It would help if you had some pre-law school experience, too. If you don't, I would honestly try as hard as possible to find anything that would be more "professional" work experience and is somewhat selective. I also think people are assuming too much about grades. If you have good grades, it might not matter. If you don't have good grades, being an RA does not help you at all, whereas a more prestigious summer job could get you better networking opportunities and looks better on a resume. JMHO.
What about what Danger Zone said above and using that as your reason. Even though I only get $9 an hour that is still better than free and way better than paying to go somewhere else for free. It just seems like financially it makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:56 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:I think the main problem with RAing for the summer is the implication that you couldn't find anything else. As long as you can articulate exactly why this was your choice for the summer (paid, connection with professor, interesting work) and how hard you worked, I think you'd be okay. It would help if you had some pre-law school experience, too. If you don't, I would honestly try as hard as possible to find anything that would be more "professional" work experience and is somewhat selective. I also think people are assuming too much about grades. If you have good grades, it might not matter. If you don't have good grades, being an RA does not help you at all, whereas a more prestigious summer job could get you better networking opportunities and looks better on a resume. JMHO.
What about what Danger Zone said above and using that as your reason. Even though I only get $9 an hour that is still better than free and way better than paying to go somewhere else for free. It just seems like financially it makes sense.
Yeah, I totally agree.

lizaregina

New

Post by lizaregina » Sun May 04, 2014 2:57 pm

I also don't know what your long-term plans are, but being an RA all summer could be good leverage for a clerkship if the professor knows someone and you're the only RA (or at least one of very few).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 27, 2014 1:39 am

Op here - Guys I am doing both the RA and a legal job. However, the legal job is full time and I find myself having virtually no time to do anything else or somewhat enjoy the summer. The RA position is more demanding than I thought. Would it be taboo if I asked to split the summer now or asked for reduced hours? It's been about a week since I started the legal position.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue May 27, 2014 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op here - Guys I am doing both the RA and a legal job. However, the legal job is full time and I find myself having virtually no time to do anything else or somewhat enjoy the summer. The RA position is more demanding than I thought. Would it be taboo if I asked to split the summer now or asked for reduced hours? It's been about a week since I started the legal position.
Kind of. But if you do ask for reduced hours, make sure it's the prof you talk to, not the legal job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue May 27, 2014 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op here - Guys I am doing both the RA and a legal job. However, the legal job is full time and I find myself having virtually no time to do anything else or somewhat enjoy the summer. The RA position is more demanding than I thought. Would it be taboo if I asked to split the summer now or asked for reduced hours? It's been about a week since I started the legal position.
Try to suck it up for a few weeks and see if the work levels off or if you can handle it. Asking for reduced hours should be a last resort.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:55 am

You are being a sissy. Full-time is 40 hours, which means you have more than enough hours to do the RA gig where you are also making money. Even assuming the RA gig is 20 hours that is only 60 hours a week. This is a typical week for a lawyer. You need to stay committed to both positions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”