Lots of Tattoos and BIGLAW Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pokemon

Gold

Re: Lots of Tattoos and BIGLAW

Post by Pokemon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Yo, I have no tattoos, am in biglaw, and my advice is to cover your tattoos. Personally, I do not give a shit if you have tattoos unless you have a gang sign in your face, but why be known as the dude with the tattoos in an environment where some partners are hitting 70 and still show up everyday in suit and tie.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a tangentally-related situation where I don't have a lot of tattoos, but am considering getting one before I start a new job where I'll be in court a lot (considering an ankleband or armband tattoo on my upper arm; I'm a woman if helpful) in one of the more conservative districts. Would it be crazy to get one? I can't imagine anyone noticing a thin ankleband tattoo and recognizing it for what it is, but I wanted to get the horror stories first. :lol:
Anything below the knee is shockingly hard to cover in female professional dress, and people WILL notice an ankle tattoo. I would stick to upper arms, upper thighs, and back for now. Save the ankle tattoo for when you're older and have experience dressing for different jobs, hiding your tattoos, and showing your tattoos.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Most assocs and Jr Partners who play on firm hoops team have tats somewhere. I just got one on my inner forearm a few months ago, my 5th, but first visible if I roll up sleaves. It's political in nature and I was nervous at first, now I don't care. Once you turn in a 200 hour billable month or two, you'll stop worrying. Presumably you'll cover them at appropriate times.

FWIW I'm a Jr./Midlevel assoc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a tangentally-related situation where I don't have a lot of tattoos, but am considering getting one before I start a new job where I'll be in court a lot (considering an ankleband or armband tattoo on my upper arm; I'm a woman if helpful) in one of the more conservative districts. Would it be crazy to get one? I can't imagine anyone noticing a thin ankleband tattoo and recognizing it for what it is, but I wanted to get the horror stories first. :lol:
Anything below the knee is shockingly hard to cover in female professional dress, and people WILL notice an ankle tattoo. I would stick to upper arms, upper thighs, and back for now. Save the ankle tattoo for when you're older and have experience dressing for different jobs, hiding your tattoos, and showing your tattoos.
I'm a woman with a pretty large calf tattoo and a lower thigh tattoo, and I don't find covering for work that difficult. That said, I prefer wearing pants so I imagine if you prefer wearing skirts it would be more annoying. I do now own a ton of knee high socks which are fun.

ETA: i don't know how to make this not anonymous. I'm such a noob

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”