Too late at this point to switch firms (3L asking)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too late at this point to switch firms (3L asking)?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi there,

A bit of background - I summered a law firm as a 2L, got a full time offer, accepted, and waited until now to hear to which practice area I am assigned when I start work in the coming fall. I was targeting what I'll call practice area A when I summered at the firm and getting into A was the primary factor for why I chose to join the law firm, but I've been assigned to practice area B. I feel quite strongly about this placement, to the point that I want to switch firms. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed and what I should be considering? Thanks!!

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Re: Too late at this point to switch firms (3L asking)?

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi there,

A bit of background - I summered a law firm as a 2L, got a full time offer, accepted, and waited until now to hear to which practice area I am assigned when I start work in the coming fall. I was targeting what I'll call practice area A when I summered at the firm and getting into A was the primary factor for why I chose to join the law firm, but I've been assigned to practice area B. I feel quite strongly about this placement, to the point that I want to switch firms. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed and what I should be considering? Thanks!!
I haven't been through this myself, but I was under the impression that you pretty much do the same thing as 2L year: go to OCI and mass-mail, making sure to note to employers that you have an offer in hand.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Who the hell is going to hire you now as a 3L? You know jobs are non-existent, right? You better put a smile on your face and get ready for practice group B and hope you can transfer into A a year from now or get work from them when you are free.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm

sparty99 wrote:Who the hell is going to hire you now as a 3L? You know jobs are non-existent, right? You better put a smile on your face and get ready for practice group B and hope you can transfer into A a year from now or get work from them when you are free.
Useful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:15 pm

sparty99 wrote:Who the hell is going to hire you now as a 3L? You know jobs are non-existent, right? You better put a smile on your face and get ready for practice group B and hope you can transfer into A a year from now or get work from them when you are free.
Tough love.

- OP

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:17 pm

Most 3L biglaw hiring is done in the fall so you have most likely missed the boat. That said, some positions are filled during the spring/summer (people decide not to come to the firm, firm needs change, they have later hiring timelines, etc) so you really have nothing to lose by applying now. Don't get your hopes up but do get a list of firms that are in practice area A and send an email application to their recruiting coordinator. Nothing will probably come of this but there's no reason not to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”