3L OCI / Young Lateral Interviews - How do they differ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L OCI / Young Lateral Interviews - How do they differ?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 pm

I have an opportunity to make a move, but haven't interviewed since 2L OCIs. I'm curious what peoples experiences have been in subsequent hiring seasons (laterals early in their career, or 3L interviews to some extent). Do you get more substantive questions, or is still relatively light in that area?

OutCold

Bronze

Re: 3L OCI / Young Lateral Interviews - How do they differ?

Postby OutCold » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:14 pm

I can only speak to the interviews I did as a 3L in the process of switching firms. They aren't going to expect you to know a whole lot more than you knew at 2L OCI, but they are going to expect you to be able to explain and talk about the things you did during your SA. For instance, you don't have to understand M&A on any sort of high level, but you should be able to at least talk about the work you did on a deal if you have it on your resume. I would assume that if you are trying to lateral, they would probably expect you to have a better sense of the larger picture, but they are still going to focus on the things that you have experience working on.

I'll warn you that literally every interview is going to ask you why you want to switch firms, so have a cohesive answer put together.

Diamond

Re: 3L OCI / Young Lateral Interviews - How do they differ?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm

I wouldn't lump young laterals in with 3Ls. 3LOLCI is exactly like 2L.

I'd imagine that would change for laterals.

Return to “Legal Employment�