What is fair pay for midlaw entry-level Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BobsYourMan30

New

What is fair pay for midlaw entry-level

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently accepted an entry-level associate possible at a "mid-sized " firm (90 attorneys) in a large secondary market. They appear to do a lot of insurance defense (professional liability, employment, auto, premises, etc.) but also do non-ID work as well.

Anyway, they have offered to pay me 85k per year. Is this a fair wage? Market in my area pays 140k. What are non-biglaw firms paying usually??

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: What is fair pay for midlaw entry-level

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Whatever they want/can/the market will bear. That sounds pretty fair to me.

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:37 pm

What doesn't make sense to me is that all associates bill the exact same rate. Why should an associate with more experience get paid more. At this firm i'm at, an 8th year associate bills the exact same as me but makes 140k. We have the same level of profitability, I dont understand the discrepancy in wage.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:43 pm

BobsYourMan30 wrote:What doesn't make sense to me is that all associates bill the exact same rate. Why should an associate with more experience get paid more. At this firm i'm at, an 8th year associate bills the exact same as me but makes 140k. We have the same level of profitability, I dont understand the discrepancy in wage.

When you're an 8th year, you'll appreciate a) your increased wages and b) the difference between you and a 1st year. Would not recommend advancing the "we bill the same" argument in salary negotiations.

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:49 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:
BobsYourMan30 wrote:What doesn't make sense to me is that all associates bill the exact same rate. Why should an associate with more experience get paid more. At this firm i'm at, an 8th year associate bills the exact same as me but makes 140k. We have the same level of profitability, I dont understand the discrepancy in wage.

When you're an 8th year, you'll appreciate a) your increased wages and b) the difference between you and a 1st year. Would not recommend advancing the "we bill the same" argument in salary negotiations.
Well I was talking to a 3rd year about this at the firm. He makes significantly less than 140k but does everything the 8th year does and with little or no supervision. Especially in our practice where cases almost never go to trial and most cases settle before depositions. Doesn't make sense to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bobnoxious

Bronze

Post by Bobnoxious » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:51 pm

What Afghan said. They could always pay you less since you don't have a track record of company loyalty and haven't had the opportunity to show that you can work with the good and the bad that comes with this particular firm. You could suggest that instead of suggesting you have demonstrated that loyalty, or you could make the argument that length of service and the loyalty it shows has absolutely zero economic value.

I wish you luck.

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Bobnoxious wrote:What Afghan said. They could always pay you less since you don't have a track record of company loyalty and haven't had the opportunity to show that you can work with the good and the bad that comes with this particular firm. You could suggest that instead of suggesting you have demonstrated that loyalty, or you could make the argument that length of service and the loyalty it shows has absolutely zero economic value.

I wish you luck.
Which is why I gave the example of the 3rd year whose actually been there longer than the 8th year associate lateral. Oh well, at least its a job but this aspect is very annoying.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 pm

You really need to learn how seniority works. Even if a third year is doing the same work as an eighth year, which is probably not the case, you are forgetting that the ones who are still at the firm in their eighth year are generally the ones that haven't been shown the door to free up room for the incoming cheaper labor. They have a demonstrated level of competence. They are paid more as the firm whittles their number down to determine if they have partnership potential. If their pay didn't increase for eight years, do you really think they would still be at the firm? Whether you realize it or not, a fourth year is a lot more marketable in lateral hiring than a first or second year.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:18 pm

d
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 pm

BobsYourMan30 wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently accepted an entry-level associate possible at a "mid-sized " firm (90 attorneys) in a large secondary market. They appear to do a lot of insurance defense (professional liability, employment, auto, premises, etc.) but also do non-ID work as well.

Anyway, they have offered to pay me 85k per year. Is this a fair wage? Market in my area pays 140k. What are non-biglaw firms paying usually??
85 + bonus sounds just about spot-on for that firm size in that market for a 1st year lawyer.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:54 pm

From what I know this is a higher end salary for ID. And ID isn't "midlaw."

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:26 pm

rad lulz wrote:Take that offer and quit your bitching you ungrateful loon
this

There are genuine midlaw firms in NYC that pay $90-$110. $85k in a secondary market is a good outcome

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:27 pm

What kind if increases should I expect annually? I suppose I could lateral to biglaw or better paying firm after a few years. The firm isn't exclusively ID. Just annoying to see these "senior" associates make so much more and they're not that competent anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:35 pm

BobsYourMan30 wrote:What kind if increases should I expect annually? I suppose I could lateral to biglaw or better paying firm after a few years. The firm isn't exclusively ID. Just annoying to see these "senior" associates make so much more and they're not that competent anyway.
Wait 4 years is you can lateral in as a partner to big law.

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BobsYourMan30 wrote:What kind if increases should I expect annually? I suppose I could lateral to biglaw or better paying firm after a few years. The firm isn't exclusively ID. Just annoying to see these "senior" associates make so much more and they're not that competent anyway.
Wait 4 years is you can lateral in as a partner to big law.
Make fun. If economy wasn't so crap, I'd prob get big law.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:45 pm

And so when you're a senior associate I presume you'll lobby for new associates to make the same amount as you?

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
And so when you're a senior associate I presume you'll lobby for new associates to make the same amount as you?
No because it's not in my interest but as it stands with same billing rates, I'm more profitable for the firm. It just doesn't make business sense. Firms should realize that 8th year associates have no leverage. Their value declines in the market. There's no need to pay them so much.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:51 pm

You aren't more profitable. An 8th year associate collects on every hour he or she bills. The firm will probably have to cut your bills by a ton for the first couple years.

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 pm

kalvano wrote:You aren't more profitable. An 8th year associate collects on every hour he or she bills. The firm will probably have to cut your bills by a ton for the first couple years.
I was talking to the 3rd year and they collected more $$$ in total on his work than the senior associate.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:56 pm

BobsYourMan30 wrote:
kalvano wrote:You aren't more profitable. An 8th year associate collects on every hour he or she bills. The firm will probably have to cut your bills by a ton for the first couple years.
I was talking to the 3rd year and they collected more $$$ in total on his work than the senior associate.
Anecdata much? And what does this have to do you with your profitability?

In any case, if you've taken this job, you need to just suck it up and get over the perceived inequity. They're not going to change people's salaries just for you, law firms traditionally give raises based on seniority, you're not going to be able to do anything about it.

BobsYourMan30

New

Post by BobsYourMan30 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BobsYourMan30 wrote:
Anecdata much? And what does this have to do you with your profitability?

In any case, if you've taken this job, you need to just suck it up and get over the perceived inequity. They're not going to change people's salaries just for you, law firms traditionally give raises based on seniority, you're not going to be able to do anything about it.
At what point am I a viable candidate for a lateral move? One year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:00 pm

LOL at special snowflake syndrome.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:03 pm

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:12 pm

BobsYourMan30 wrote:Hi everyone,

... they have offered to pay me 85k per year. Is this a fair wage? Market in my area pays 140k.
Were you not aware of the disparity in market pay when you were an SA or is there more to your story?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”