Lateral as a 1st Year Associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: Lateral as a 1st Year Associate?

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:56 pm

I mean I think that too when I see that kind of resume, but neither I not any other associate really has a lot of power in deciding who gets an interview. I'm sure it's like they at your firm, in which case who gives a shit what you or I think?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
zweitbester wrote:Biglaw Associate V20 is kind of exaggerating, IMO. As long as you have strong, credible reasons for doing the lateral that you can explain during an interview down the line (if it comes to that), no one will think twice of it.
Thats what I figured (hoped). I mean, I feel like I can make a genuine case for this if I can get a few face-to-face minutes with someone at firm 2. Lots of group X partners there from my school and who are still active in the school community, and some were even on my journal, so maybe they can give me a few minutes. I would only go the backdoor route on this one, speaking to alums, people I reach out to personally, etc., as opposed to just emailing in an application. Much easier to actually explain the situation in person or over the phone.
I'm sure you'll do fine once you get a chance to explain it to someone in person. My comment was a collection of general thoughts that I and others at my firm sometimes have when looking at resumes of junior associates who are trying to lateral early in their careers. In other words, I think you'll have more problems getting interviews than doing well in them.

You have to consider that you don't exactly have a robust skill set at this point in your career, so firms are going to compare you to people coming straight out of law school (and there are plenty of impressive people graduating from law school every year).
Right I def hear you on that. Cold-emailing my resume likely wouldn't be the best idea. Will def tailor my approach and try and do some backdoor networking.

Jackie U

New

Post by Jackie U » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 am

Not sure if there is a point to this, but it does involve a first year lateral.

A cohort accepted an SA position and a week later he received an offer from a bigger firm in the same city. He explained to the bigger firm that he had already accepted. They said if things didn’t work out to let them know. His SA firm offered him an associate position and he accepted.

A few months into his associate position he ran into someone from the bigger firm and mentioned that if not for timing he would have been working at the bigger firm. Long story short, the bigger firm contacted him and he lateralled.

Started not to post this because this type of lateralling is very unique. On the other hand if the higher paying firm “X” wanted you once, maybe they’d still want you. Possibly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 am

When do associates typically lateral? Is transactional a different timeline than litigation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:41 pm

Jackie U wrote:Not sure if there is a point to this, but it does involve a first year lateral.

A cohort accepted an SA position and a week later he received an offer from a bigger firm in the same city. He explained to the bigger firm that he had already accepted. They said if things didn’t work out to let them know. His SA firm offered him an associate position and he accepted.

A few months into his associate position he ran into someone from the bigger firm and mentioned that if not for timing he would have been working at the bigger firm. Long story short, the bigger firm contacted him and he lateralled.

Started not to post this because this type of lateralling is very unique. On the other hand if the higher paying firm “X” wanted you once, maybe they’d still want you. Possibly.
Interesting story. I was on entirely good terms with firm 2 when i turned down the offer. Made it very clear that i loved their firm and would have chosen them if not for the whole "gotta be 100% sure on practice group X thing". If i were to contact firm 2 now, it would be a different, bigger office, but I remember each person I met in the satellite office and perhaps I can reach out to them in order to see if they can help me get in touch with people in the main office (since the satellite office is very small and most certainly doesn't have more spots).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When do associates typically lateral? Is transactional a different timeline than litigation?
Most laterals tend to leave around 3-4 years I think. Seems like that's where the attrition levels start to rise. Lateraling as a first year, as this thread describes, is more atypical, and usually happens based on slightly more extenuating and unique circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:06 pm

And should "prestige" be a factor? Current firm is probably the more prestigious overall name compared to firm 2, but firm 2 is among the most reputable "group X" practices (even more so than my current firm). Given that my goal is indeed group X work, both now and down the line, should overall firm prestige even really factor in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Also, is it worth getting in touch with a few new associates af firm 2 to get an insider view without really tipping anyone off? There are a few alums of my school who are associates there so maybe its a good idea to get their opinions from the inside before I start getting serious by contacting high level people?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:07 pm

Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Ok so I reached out to a few first years at firm 2 in order to get some inside info while still being discrete. Set to grab a coffee tomorrow with one of them. Anything major I should def ask? Of course, will ask about life in group X at the firm, the firm in general, people in the group, etc. Any other major points to ask about?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok so I reached out to a few first years at firm 2 in order to get some inside info while still being discrete. Set to grab a coffee tomorrow with one of them. Anything major I should def ask? Of course, will ask about life in group X at the firm, the firm in general, people in the group, who to contact among the partners when I really wanna get the ball rolling, etc. Any other major points to ask about?
Just want to bump this question. Writing a list of questions and things to discuss tomorrow

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:22 am

You don't need to update us at every turn in what is clearly an attempt to bump the thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Bumping this old thread with a related question.

Currently at one of the top corporate firms in NYC, looking to lateral to California and into a different practice area that my firm doesn't have.

I am currently only 4-5 months in, but I want to start planning early. I have reached out to attorneys at a few target firms in CA that had a similar background (started in NYC, lateraled to CA) and talked with them about their experience. They generally said I should wait until I have 1 year under my belt, then apply.

Does this sound like the general rule of thumb? Most openings I see posted by firms require 2+ years, but I would only be beginning my 2nd year.

FWIW, I was born and raised in the target market and I think I have a solid reason for switching into this practice area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 pm

i've often heard a preference for a two-year minimum.

one thing to keep in mind is that you can sometimes "vote with your feet." some firms will make real efforts to fit you into a new group only if the alternative is to lose you completely. sometimes this is because your work has identified you as someone they don't want to lose. more often it's because losing first years to other firms looks bad. if your firm suddenly changes course, make sure you have a firm understanding of which partners you'll be working for (and have spoken to those partners) before committing to stay. also understand that if you leave as a first year, you're committing to staying put for 2-3 years minimum at the new shop (unless you drastically alter careers). that means you really better know the situation at the new firm, because they will own your ass even more than your first firm.

finally, note that virtually no one takes into account your stub year in determining how long you've worked somewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:37 pm

DreamShake wrote:i've often heard a preference for a two-year minimum.

one thing to keep in mind is that you can sometimes "vote with your feet." some firms will make real efforts to fit you into a new group only if the alternative is to lose you completely. sometimes this is because your work has identified you as someone they don't want to lose. more often it's because losing first years to other firms looks bad. if your firm suddenly changes course, make sure you have a firm understanding of which partners you'll be working for (and have spoken to those partners) before committing to stay. also understand that if you leave as a first year, you're committing to staying put for 2-3 years minimum at the new shop (unless you drastically alter careers). that means you really better know the situation at the new firm, because they will own your ass even more than your first firm.

finally, note that virtually no one takes into account your stub year in determining how long you've worked somewhere.
This is helpful, thanks.

My plan is to start applying in the fall. That would put me at about 1 year experience including stub year, but it would meaning I could likely start in January or so of the next year with 2nd year status.

I would love to change practice groups within the firm, but my firm doesn't practice in my desired field.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”