Senate Committee on the Judiciary? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jhausie

New

Senate Committee on the Judiciary?

Post by Jhausie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Is a position as a legal clerk with a Senator who sits on the Senate Committee on the Judiciary a better experience for 1Ls or 2Ls? I am interested in politics and policy work (at all levels of government).

I have applied for such a position and based on a number of factors it it is becoming increasingly likely that I will receive an offer. I have already received an offer for a legal intern position with a local environmental non-profit (I am also interested in environmental law).

As a 2L, do you think it would be better to take the position on the hill for its exposure to the legislative process and public policy or the environmental non-profit job? Another factor I am considering in this is that based on my law schools clinical selection process, it is quite possible that I will be able to enroll in an environmental law clinic next year. This makes me lean towards the D.C. option since the clinic may allow me to gain similar skills to those I would obtain as an intern at the local environmental non-profit.

Jhausie

New

Re: Senate Committee on the Judiciary?

Post by Jhausie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Thoughts? Anyone?

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Interning with a Senator is a fine position for 1L, as long as you actually get some legal experience. I know undergrads who have interned with Senators and basically just shadowed. If that's all you'd be doing, go with the non-profit internship.

You should not even consider interning with the Senator for 2L summer, unless it has been made explicitly clear to you that it will lead to permanent employment. For your 2L summer, you should work somewhere that could lead to a job offer after graduation.

Jhausie

New

Post by Jhausie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Well the issue is that neither position is extremely likely to lead to employment after graduation. Hiring of former 2L's isn't as common in the public/non-profit sectors (at least that has been my impression).

The position with the Senate Committee on the Judiciary is a legal internship supervised by the Senator's Chief and Assistant Counsels and it will entail policy and legal research and writing (not so much the general constituent services tasks generally associated with undergrad internships).

alexandra23

New

Post by alexandra23 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:27 am

I think what the other poster is missing is that you'd be working in the committee office, not simply the Senator's office, meaning you would be gaining substantial legal experience. These offices routinely hire a bunch of legal interns/law clerks.

People on this site are WAY too closed-minded in their focus on big law/firm jobs. I think this internship sounds like a great opportunity for you! I know another 2L who is doing that exact same thing - she was hired by a Senator who also sits on the Judiciary Committee. I accepted a legal internship for a different committee for my 2L summer (this summer). You wouldn't be doing constituent work, as you said, but rather substantive legal work, so I don't see what the problem is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jhausie

New

Post by Jhausie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:33 pm

alexandra23 wrote: People on this site are WAY too closed-minded in their focus on big law/firm jobs.
I agree.

Thanks for the responses so far.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:34 pm

alexandra23 wrote:You wouldn't be doing constituent work, as you said, but rather substantive legal work, so I don't see what the problem is.
the fact that it probably won't lead to a post-grad job?

alexandra23

New

Post by alexandra23 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Without elaborating, when I was given the offer for my committee, I was told there was definitely potential for advancement. Lots of political offices like to keep the same people around.

Plus, in the political world especially, networking is virtually everything. Being in DC and working with people who share his political beliefs (and are potentially from his state) could definitely lead to job opportunities.

I don't see how there's any less potential there than at other common 2L summer options. He isn't interested in big law anyway.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:50 pm

you are the only person who has mentioned biglaw (twice now) on this supposedly "biglaw-obsessed" forum. OP said his impression was that hiring of former 2Ls was uncommon. there are lots of other 2L job options that have better odds of leading to post-grad employment. if he wants to "network" he can do that w/ an externship and not have to waste his only 2L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jhausie

New

Post by Jhausie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:04 pm

alexandra23 wrote: I don't see how there's any less potential there than at other common 2L summer options. He isn't interested in big law anyway.
Right. No interest in big law and as I understand it there is generally less of a chance for job offers after graduation in the public sector (non-profit/government type work) anyways. Based on that understanding, I'm looking for a summer position that will result in solid transferable skills (applicable to both law and policy positions) and not necessarily one that will lead to definitive employment after graduation (something that doesn't seem to be as common in the public sector).

patogordo wrote: you are the only person who has mentioned biglaw (twice now) on this supposedly "biglaw-obsessed" forum. OP said his impression was that hiring of former 2Ls was uncommon. there are lots of other 2L job options that have better odds of leading to post-grad employment. if he wants to "network" he can do that w/ an externship and not have to waste his only 2L summer.
I think she was just suggesting that most topics appear to be biglaw/firm oriented in the employment section of this forum. At least that's how I took it.

Additionally, networking possibilities through an externship at my school would be somewhat different than networking through a summer position in D.C. because I am at the University of Minnesota Law School.

alexandra23

New

Post by alexandra23 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:42 pm

Yeah, I was going to also mention that another factor to consider would be whether it would be more valuable to network in Minnesota or in DC for you. Also, if you think you'd rather practice environmental law, then I would just do that nonprofit internship; if you'd rather do policy work/work on the Hill, then DC would be better. Of course, the cost to move to DC for the summer versus staying where you are is another consideration.

Neither option is a bad option by any means - it just depends on where you want to be after you graduate and what you think you'll want to practice. And if you aren't sure, this is a good time to explore an option you aren't as familiar with so you know if you'd like it. You might want to go with the option you are more curious about.

Those are just things I'd think about.

alexandra23

New

Post by alexandra23 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:46 pm

Just don't let people get you down because you aren't doing what they consider the traditional route. Some people on this site don't realize that not everyone wants to work at a firm as soon as they graduate. Getting a SA position is not essential. And I stand by my statement that most 2L summer options do not lead to jobs. SA positions for biglaw firms might, but as has been discussed, biglaw is not your focus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”