Employment Dilemma Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Connor Benz

Bronze

Employment Dilemma

Post by Connor Benz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:27 pm

I have been offered a position with the Department of Justice in their Civil Division. I am THRILLED about this. However, I have submitted a background check to another place in my home state.

Here is my dilemma: DOJ only gave me about 4 business days to make a decision (minus weekend). :shock:
I am weighing the option of the opportunity to go back home and the position is with the City Attorney of my home city.
Also, I am waiting to hear back from a paid position from another company - however their process is much much longer to get hired. (They want to fly you out and interview with the hiring committee and then they make their decision)

I am seeking some advice from my fellow TLS folks who may have been in the same situation. I spoke with this 2L at my school and she told me you need to do whatever is going to benefit your career and if that means to sacrifice the summer of not being home, so be it.

HELP!

ggocat

Gold

Re: Employment Dilemma

Post by ggocat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:50 pm

For 1L, go with whatever gives you a shot at post grad employment. If nothing, then whatever pays, and as a last resort whatever is prefstigious.

anon168

Silver

Re: Employment Dilemma

Post by anon168 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Connor Benz wrote:I have been offered a position with the Department of Justice in their Civil Division. I am THRILLED about this. However, I have submitted a background check to another place in my home state.

Here is my dilemma: DOJ only gave me about 4 business days to make a decision (minus weekend). :shock:
I am weighing the option of the opportunity to go back home and the position is with the City Attorney of my home city.
Also, I am waiting to hear back from a paid position from another company - however their process is much much longer to get hired. (They want to fly you out and interview with the hiring committee and then they make their decision)

I am seeking some advice from my fellow TLS folks who may have been in the same situation. I spoke with this 2L at my school and she told me you need to do whatever is going to benefit your career and if that means to sacrifice the summer of not being home, so be it.

HELP!
That's good advice. You should listen.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”