Need help deciding on job offer (doc review v. small firm) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need help deciding on job offer (doc review v. small firm)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Hey everyone. I need some help/advice about deciding on a job offer. While I know that I'm blessed to be facing this problem instead of still being unemployed, I really need some guidance on this situation.

Background: Graduated from top-20 law school last year. Slightly above median grades. Plan on working in Atlanta for 2 years before moving to Florida with my fiancee.

Options: 1) Work for one of the biggest firms in Atlanta in their document review department at $50/k per year, 2) work for a 2-lawyer eminent domain practice in a far northern suburb of Atlanta for $35/hr ($70/k per year), 3) stay at my current contract real estate job that pays $45/k per year with the option to possibly move to a satellite office in Florida in 2 years.

Questions: Pros/Cons? Best choice? Are there good exit options for doing document review at a major firm? Any advice is much appreciated.

joblawl

New

Re: Need help deciding on job offer (doc review v. small firm)

Post by joblawl » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Exit options from big law doc review are not strong. I work at a large firm and there is a guy in my office that did doc review at a large firm for 3 years before he came - he's viewed as a first year associate. The guy had strong credentials coming out of school - so it's not like the doc review job lifted him to a higher caliber job.

I would go with the small firm job. You might get some legit experience. You might learn things.... Doc review will not help you develop professionally.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone. I need some help/advice about deciding on a job offer. While I know that I'm blessed to be facing this problem instead of still being unemployed, I really need some guidance on this situation.

Background: Graduated from top-20 law school last year. Slightly above median grades. Plan on working in Atlanta for 2 years before moving to Florida with my fiancee.

Options: 1) Work for one of the biggest firms in Atlanta in their document review department at $50/k per year, 2) work for a 2-lawyer eminent domain practice in a far northern suburb of Atlanta for $35/hr ($70/k per year), 3) stay at my current contract real estate job that pays $45/k per year with the option to possibly move to a satellite office in Florida in 2 years.

Questions: Pros/Cons? Best choice? Are there good exit options for doing document review at a major firm? Any advice is much appreciated.
Doc Reviewers are treated as turds. Take #2 as long as they can guarantee full time hours hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone. I need some help/advice about deciding on a job offer. While I know that I'm blessed to be facing this problem instead of still being unemployed, I really need some guidance on this situation.

Doc Reviewers are treated as turds. Take #2 as long as they can guarantee full time hours hours.
#3 is my current job. I'm waiting on #2 to decide on whether or not I get the job, but he seemed to indicate the job was mine. #1 is an interview on thursday. Should I cancel the doc review interview?

arodtoo

New

Post by arodtoo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Don't cancel anything until you have offers in hand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:11 pm

arodtoo wrote:Don't cancel anything until you have offers in hand.
For the love of god take this advice. In fact, I would recommend you continue sending your resume out until you actually start your job.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm

What kind of work do you do at your job.

lecsa

Bronze

Post by lecsa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Last edited by lecsa on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:32 am

Contract doc-review is a scarlet letter. Avoid if possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 am

Based exclusively on the post subject, I say small firm. Never do doc review unless it's 100% financially necessary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:What kind of work do you do at your job.
I currently do real estate. Just lots of title work for several large scale residential property acquisitions.

I already did doc review for a month last year to pay some bills, so that "scarlet letter" is already attached to my resume. I know I probably won't ever get on with a big firm (or not at least until I'm a real attorney with business to bring to it), so the scarlet letter doesn't scare me in this economy. However, I do want to do what is best for my legal career, so I think my current firm is a better option than doc review at the big firm. I do think I will take the eminent domain guy's offer if he makes it since the work would be more substantive and higher paying, but that offer isn't yet in hand and I wanted to get some other people's opinions before I cancel the document review interview.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I currently do real estate. Just lots of title work for several large scale residential property acquisitions.

I already did doc review for a month last year to pay some bills, so that "scarlet letter" is already attached to my resume. I know I probably won't ever get on with a big firm (or not at least until I'm a real attorney with business to bring to it), so the scarlet letter doesn't scare me in this economy. However, I do want to do what is best for my legal career, so I think my current firm is a better option than doc review at the big firm. I do think I will take the eminent domain guy's offer if he makes it since the work would be more substantive and higher paying, but that offer isn't yet in hand and I wanted to get some other people's opinions before I cancel the document review interview.
A month long gig shouldn't be on your resume unless it is impressive. But nobody is going to find one month of doc review a scarlet letter. It's only bad for your resume because it's not real legal work. But its still weird to put a month long temp gig on your resume. A resume isn't a list of places you worked.

legalese_retard

Bronze

Post by legalese_retard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
However, I do want to do what is best for my legal career,
#2 is your best option then. The doc review gig at a big firm will only benefit you for future doc review gigs at big firms. Since you are moving to a new market in a few years, you need experience more than a big firm name while doing doc review.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
A month long gig shouldn't be on your resume unless it is impressive. But nobody is going to find one month of doc review a scarlet letter. It's only bad for your resume because it's not real legal work. But its still weird to put a month long temp gig on your resume. A resume isn't a list of places you worked.
Agreed, employers' suspicions are only raised if there is a noticeable gap in your resume (at least several months long); you don't need to keep a travel log of every place you've worked. Recommend taking off the doc review now that you've held a legal position for some period of time. And don't cancel anything until you've got offers in writing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:45 am

I've decided on the eminent domain office. It was the best option, and I feel like I'm actually taking a real step towards starting my legal career.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've decided on the eminent domain office. It was the best option, and I feel like I'm actually taking a real step towards starting my legal career.
Congrats

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:36 pm

I just got called for an interview at the Small Business Administration in downtown of the major city near me. She said it should pay the same, if not more, than my new eminent domain gig. Interview on thursday. Thoughts?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got called for an interview at the Small Business Administration in downtown of the major city near me. She said it should pay the same, if not more, than my new eminent domain gig. Interview on thursday. Thoughts?
Why not just say Atlanta?

What do you want to do? All things equal I'd take a job at the SBA, because that sounds like it would be by far the most secure of these options, but who knows.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 pm

$70k/year doing substantive legal work in a low-COL city like Atlanta is a good gig! Its really sad that law school is so expensive that people feel like this sort of thing is inferior to big firm work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”