Split Summer Options Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Split Summer Options

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 pm

I'll know this week, but I may have the opportunity to split my 1L summer between a Law Firm and Fortune 100 company (Company's suggestion and law firm is okay w/ it). Both are paid near mkt rate for my target city. Question is, should I take a split between company/Firm, or pursue an option with a Judge and split between firm or company and Judge (Judge would also be open to it, if i also did some part-time stuff). Im not sure if I want transactional or litigation so i really am open to anything.

thanks

downinDtown

Bronze

Re: Split Summer Options

Post by downinDtown » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll know this week, but I may have the opportunity to split my 1L summer between a Law Firm and Fortune 100 company (Company's suggestion and law firm is okay w/ it). Both are paid near mkt rate for my target city. Question is, should I take a split between company/Firm, or pursue an option with a Judge and split between firm or company and Judge (Judge would also be open to it, if i also did some part-time stuff). Im not sure if I want transactional or litigation so i really am open to anything.

thanks
I'd recommend to split btw firm and in-house. I worked in-house my 1L summer and loved it, and depending on the size of the F100 company's in-house department, you may get decent exposure to a wide variety of legal issues--for example, I worked on employment, securities, corporate, and some litigation issues, but YMMV.

Each judge is different in what he or she has the clerks do. Some sit around and watch motions/trials and do some research; others are much more interactive with projects and introducing lawyers and explaining decisions. It doesn't make sense to try and do all 3. Pick the two that think would give you the best idea of what you want to do and give you the best prospects of getting a job down the road.

On that note, having that in-house experience was excellent during OCI. All the firms asked about it, and with big name companies, it's excellent to establish those connections early on in your career. After all, those companies are the ones that pay BigLaw's bills.

Edit:**Wanted to add that unless you're getting some grant for working for the judge, the extra money you'll be getting paid by working in-house doesn't hurt either.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”