Benefits (and cons) of joining a local bar association Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Benefits (and cons) of joining a local bar association

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:45 pm

I recently got a notice that I can have my first year membership in the local bar association for free if I wish to join. Do you all think it is worth it to join? What are the benefits and cons? Any perspectives and experiences are welcome, thank you.

downinDtown

Bronze

Re: Benefits (and cons) of joining a local bar association

Post by downinDtown » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently got a notice that I can have my first year membership in the local bar association for free if I wish to join. Do you all think it is worth it to join? What are the benefits and cons? Any perspectives and experiences are welcome, thank you.
If it's free, sure, why not. Being a member is fine, but I guess you're looking for whether it's worth it to be actively engaged in a bar association as a young lawyer.

Depending on the type of firm you're at/going to be at, you may be encouraged/expected to have a presence with other lawyers, make connections to drum up business, etc. You'll probably get a purdy lil' newsletter/email telling you all the good things the bar association is doing, and get notices of all the upcoming CLE's in the area and networking events the association is putting together. Also, I think it's generally a good thing to have some connections with other lawyers/law firms so you can know someone to recommend you when you are looking to leave your firm.

Cons: they'll have your email and your address so depending on the association's policy, you may get other solicitations for fundraising/events from third parties. They'll also send you dozens of notices/reminders for the next year when it's time to pay the piper for your association dues. But your firm might pay for it anyway. You may get asked to serve on a committee or volunteer otherwise.

hmlee

Bronze

Re: Benefits (and cons) of joining a local bar association

Post by hmlee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Also: free CLE webcasts. At least through the Chicago Bar Association, but I'm guessing many other bar associations also do it. Take advantage of it while your membership is free so you don't have to pay a late fee on your MCLE compliance.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”