Small Firm Exit Options Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small Firm Exit Options

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Wanted to ask for opinions on what potential future exit options there may be from very small firms. I've accepted a position at a defense firm where I'll be one of 4 attorneys. The firm practices in a niche practice group that a lot of other, larger firms also have. I'm going to be moving to a major market that I would like to try living in and the firm pays well for a small firm, enough to combat that market's high COL. I will likely be able to get excellent substantive experience, handle my own cases, do court appearances, etc. due to the size of the firm and the amount of work that just needs to get done.

I know this is somewhat of a crystal ball question, but what potential exit options are there when working for very small boutiques? Obviously I'm not looking to go into biglaw one day, but I'm interested to know how difficult it might be to lateral to larger firms after I get 1-3 years of experience. One of the named partners I'll be working for is well-connected in the market I'll be in, so I'm hoping to establish a good working relationship with him in the hope that he'll mentor me. Anyone have thoughts?

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Re: Small Firm Exit Options

Post by smallfirmassociate » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:45 pm

County attorney / prosecutor (state or USAO), in-house counsel job that wants litigation experience (especially if you get at least SOME civil experience), judge, higher-end boutique firm (think federal white collar crime defense).

Anonymous User

Re: Small Firm Exit Options

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:County attorney / prosecutor (state or USAO), in-house counsel job that wants litigation experience (especially if you get at least SOME civil experience), judge, higher-end boutique firm (think federal white collar crime defense).
OP here, sorry I should've said civil defense firm, not crim.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”