How much are SA position taxed? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much are SA position taxed?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Hey guys, sorry if this is obvious, but assuming the $3,077 per week rate, how much do summer associates actually get (roughly) per week after taxes?

Thanks!

Citizen Genet

Silver

Re: How much are SA position taxed?

Post by Citizen Genet » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, sorry if this is obvious, but assuming the $3,077 per week rate, how much do summer associates actually get (roughly) per week after taxes?

Thanks!
Depends on market and whether you claim dependents.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 pm

My first summer I was lazy and they taxed me at whatever the rate is for an annualized $160,000 salary, which meant I gave the Government a pretty sizable interest-free loan payable whenever I filed my taxes the next year. My second summer I filled out the paperwork necessary to have taxes withheld based on the salary I would receive during my 10 weeks with the firm.

Simply put, first summer: even though I made $32k (or whatever), I got taxed as though I was making $160k. Second summer I got taxed as though I was making $32k because I filled out the necessary paperwork with the firm.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:My first summer I was lazy and they taxed me at whatever the rate is for an annualized $160,000 salary, which meant I gave the Government a pretty sizable interest-free loan payable whenever I filed my taxes the next year. My second summer I filled out the paperwork necessary to have taxes withheld based on the salary I would receive during my 10 weeks with the firm.

Simply put, first summer: even though I made $32k (or whatever), I got taxed as though I was making $160k. Second summer I got taxed as though I was making $32k because I filled out the necessary paperwork with the firm.
Interesting. I didnt know you could do this.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:01 pm

AlanShore wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:My first summer I was lazy and they taxed me at whatever the rate is for an annualized $160,000 salary, which meant I gave the Government a pretty sizable interest-free loan payable whenever I filed my taxes the next year. My second summer I filled out the paperwork necessary to have taxes withheld based on the salary I would receive during my 10 weeks with the firm.

Interesting. I didnt know you could do this.
I'm not sure if this is an option at every firm, and it may not have been an option my first summer which would explain why I didn't do it. I imagine it's a hassle for the firms to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Use the IRS's withholding calculator. If you're making $3100 per week but only working 10 or 12 weeks, you should be claiming at least 25 exemptions, closer to 35 if you qualify for Lifelong Learning credit or other education credits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm not sure if this is an option at every firm,
Sure it is, just complete a federal form W4 and submit it to HR/payroll.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”