1l Summer - legal "volunteer" same as an internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1l Summer - legal "volunteer" same as an internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 pm

I found a couple nonprofit law firms and organizations that accept law student "volunteers".
Aside from the different label, is this essentially the same thing as an internship? Would I be learning the same "skills" as if I were to work at a public interest internship?

Also, would this qualify for funding?

Anon cuz I asked a bunch of people from my school the same thing but got no satisfying answer.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: 1l Summer - legal "volunteer" same as an internship?

Postby Nebby » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I found a couple nonprofit law firms and organizations that accept law student "volunteers".
Aside from the different label, is this essentially the same thing as an internship? Would I be learning the same "skills" as if I were to work at a public interest internship?

Also, would this qualify for funding?

Anon cuz I asked a bunch of people from my school the same thing but got no satisfying answer.

It's considered a volunteer internship--similar to the BigFed internships that 1Ls take that put them in a division but pay them no money. Whether or not these offers are useful to you depends on the nature of the work you'll be doing there. If they are having you do pre-trial work, legal research, discovery work, etc. then of course you should take it as it will give you the legal experience you'll need to show come OCI.

Funding depends on your school's definition of "public interest," but typically all gov't and nonprofit work can receive grants.

Return to “Legal Employment�