Position Seeking 2-5 Years Experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Position Seeking 2-5 Years Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 am

Is it worth while for a 3L (within a few months of graduation) to apply for positions posted on firms' websites that indicate they are looking for candidates with 2-5 years of experience? And simple highlight your experience during law school in that area as your experience? Or does this make you look bad/annoy the firm?

mx23250

Re: Position Seeking 2-5 Years Experience

Postby mx23250 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth while for a 3L (within a few months of graduation) to apply for positions posted on firms' websites that indicate they are looking for candidates with 2-5 years of experience? And simple highlight your experience during law school in that area as your experience? Or does this make you look bad/annoy the firm?

Unless you literally have at least 2 years of continuous experience in the area during law school, I wouldn't apply.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:27 pm

They want 2-5 years of experience as an attorney, I'm sure.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth while for a 3L (within a few months of graduation) to apply for positions posted on firms' websites that indicate they are looking for candidates with 2-5 years of experience? And simple highlight your experience during law school in that area as your experience? Or does this make you look bad/annoy the firm?

Go for it. No harm in applying and you have a chance at a job if you do apply. You never know what the firm is really looking for. Just explain in your cover letter why you think your law school experience still makes you worthy for consideration and you would like to be considered if a different position is available that better suits your level of experience. I really wouldn't worry about annoying the firm.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 pm

2-5 years experience = mid-level associate. Seems like a waste of time to apply for such positions when you would be entry-level.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Pokemon wrote:2-5 years experience = mid-level associate. Seems like a waste of time to apply for such positions when you would be entry-level.

Agree, while normally I would just say apply, as someone who is right out of law school I have been lucky when I have received an interview with the firm that requires 1 year experience (only has happened twice), it has never happened when I have applied for a position with 2 years +

If it is just a resume though, just do it i guess, just dont expect anything

FWIW experience in law school is not what they are talking about IMO

UnfrozenCaveman

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:47 pm

If you don't have to write a cover letter or anything, what do you have to lose by applying?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 am

Apply. Sometimes firms change their mind as to what they want partway through the interview process. On multiple ocassions, my firm has posted positions that "required" more experience and hired someone with significantly less experience. There were candidates available in the range they sought but my firm opted for less experience, probably because they didn't have to pay them as much and they didn't think it would be too hard to train up the person.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 am

There is zero reason to not apply. If you're jobless, apply everywhere that isn't seeking a partner

Return to “Legal Employment”