Asking Full Summer from a Half Summer Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking Full Summer from a Half Summer Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 pm

The midsized firm I'm working for during my 2L SA offers for only one half of the summer. I know they are still actively looking for another SA (they told me they generally take on two SA, one for each half). I locked them up in fall through mass mail. Now that hiring is really limited and I'm looking to fill my other half w/ whatever I can get - I think I want to ask the firm if they would actually be open for me being there the whole summer.

Has anyone done or know anyone who has done this successfully? I would appreciate some advice on how to precede or if I should ask them in the first place. I really liked the firm and I believe they are excited about me (only took them a few hours to extend an offer) - so they may be open to this idea.

Also, do midsized firms generally prorate their salary or is the answer "it depends." I'm being paid a nice-round -even number weekly which I'm not quite sure if that makes it prorated or if that is a convenient number to pay summers.

Thanks guys.

arklaw13

Re: Asking Full Summer from a Half Summer Firm

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:55 am

I don't think it would hurt to approach them and let them know that you would be open to spending the whole summer with them if they would allow it. The only way they can take that is that you're really committed to their firm.

Most midsized firms don't pay summers full prorated salary, at least not the ones who post their comp on NALP.

Return to “Legal Employment”