1L Summer intern position advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer intern position advice

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi guys, 1L here. Tier 1 Law School. I recently got an offer to work at the PD's office in another city in my Law School's state. However, I would like to work in BigLaw in California (I do not go to school in California) after graduation. My question is: I have an offer to interview at the DA's office in one of the California cities I'm interested in working at, but the interview isn't until March and I have to get back to the PD's office on Tuesday. Should I accept the offer? I should mention that I'm also mass mailing BigLaw firms in California and applying for judicial externships in the state that I'm currently in. I know it will be hard to get a SA offer at this point, especially outside of T-14, but I'm still trying to leverage my skills tailored to the firms. There is also another consideration. My LS is offering summer classes and I want to take these classes to raise my GPA. And, if I take the PD office position I will not be able to do that. So, since my hope is BigLaw in California should I just try and find a position in the current city I live in and take the summer classes concurrently or should I go ahead and accept the PD position since it'll give me a valuable skill set that I can then use during my 2L interviews.

Any input would be appreciated.

jbagelboy

Re: 1L Summer intern position advice

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Do you have ties to CA? Are your grades top quarter/top 10% (depending on which T1)? CA biglaw from OOS/non-T14 is an ambitious goal. Objectively how realistic is that based on your current circumstance?

Moreover, what legal work you do 1L summer, unless you can get an SA, doesn't really matter so long as it is legal work. If you have no or limited ties to CA and you can safely justify that goal (see above), then it would help to work there over this summer and have a california employer on your resume, but if that job would be your only tie (and if this was true it would be nearly impossible to land a summer gig there in the first place) I would be very hesitant to bank on it as sufficient for OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:02 pm

You are a little late to the party for the 1L SA market in SoCal. Can't speak to the Bay Area. It's already difficult enough as it is. Unless you have tip-top grades, I would forget about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:12 pm

OP here. My grades are top quarter. My only tie with CA is my undergrad institution.
I am obviously going to keep trying to find employment in CA but in case that doesn't pan out do you think I should stay back in the city which I'm currently in, push that GPA up further and try to find work here since it doesn't really matter as long as I find some type of legal work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. My grades are top quarter. My only tie with CA is my undergrad institution.
I am obviously going to keep trying to find employment in CA but in case that doesn't pan out do you think I should stay back in the city which I'm currently in, push that GPA up further and try to find work here since it doesn't really matter as long as I find some type of legal work?

Top-quarter from non-T14 isn't going to realistically get you biglaw, especially in California. Maybe if you have a great IP background there is a chance, but I don't see it happening and taking summer classes to boost your GPA isn't going to help. You can still mass mail and try to get interviews through OCI, but in my opinion you should really re-evaluate what your options realistically are and focus on efforts that are likely to bear fruit.

Return to “Legal Employment”