Unsure 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unsure 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:02 am

I am going to try and be brief though I know the more information I give the better assistance I get. I am a 1L at a top 35 school. I have a 3.1 GPA and am hoping to work in the NJ/Philadelphia market. I have a summer internship already with a Federal magistrate judge and I have (and plan on this summer) networking like crazy. I am starting to question whether I should continue with law school. I have a scholarship that pays half my tuition and expect to come out with about 70k in total debt (that's from undergrad as well). my undergrad degree is in History and Poli Sci and I have some work experience though its all at the entry level.

Naturally I am not fooling myself and assume I will probably not graduate working at a huge firm make 160k a year or anything. However, I would be comfortable with around 70-80k a year in any field (I haven't narrowed down my choices yet).

I am just curious what people think. Should I stay or should I go?

target

Re: Unsure 1L

Postby target » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:38 am

What does 3.1 mean at your school? Below median or barely above?

How is your connection in that area? Family members are lawyers, doing business, etc?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 am

The debt's not terrible. And to be honest, whether you're at median or below, it doesn't really matter for a school outside the top 14 -- so long as you're outside the top 1/3 or top 1/4, you're unlikely to end up in biglaw anyway. But since you said you don't need that, it's no big deal. You can probably end up in small law or public interest if you start focusing on doing clinics/externships/part-time law clerking in certain areas. You can make it happen, but probably not for 80k right away. How much do you care about being a lawyer? If you don't really care, then you shouldn't be doing this. But on the other hand, you're not going to end up with the salary you want right off the bat with a history/poli sci degree either. So, it's time to do some serious thinking about what you would do if you quit and what you're willing to settle for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:46 am

A 3.1 is slightly below average. As for the connections they are all ones I have made while in law school. They are all established attorneys in big law though alt none of them are on the hiring committees shop idk how much food they will be when the time comes.

I also have really wanted to be an attorney for a really long time so I am motivated in that sense. Thanks for the help btw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 am

*alt should be sadly
*food should be good

Return to “Legal Employment”