Lateraling with a bad law school GPA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lateraling with a bad law school GPA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 pm

You are a third year. You can probably work with a recruiter. Why don't see what they have to say about your GPA issues. They claim to be pretty good about maintaining confidentiality , so that might help with the reference issue.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You are a third year. You can probably work with a recruiter. Why don't see what they have to say about your GPA issues. They claim to be pretty good about maintaining confidentiality, so that might help with the reference issue.

This was the one and only pokemon... did not mean to be anon.

bobtyme

Postby bobtyme » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You are a third year. You can probably work with a recruiter. Why don't see what they have to say about your GPA issues. They claim to be pretty good about maintaining confidentiality, so that might help with the reference issue.

I did speak with a recruiter. He said I have absolutely no chance at biglaw because of my gpa. :(
That's why I'm so surprised. That with great experience and years removed from my crappy torts and property grades, i'm completely shut-out.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm

bobtyme wrote:
Pokemon wrote:

I did speak with a recruiter. He said I have absolutely no chance at biglaw because of my gpa. :(
That's why I'm so surprised. That with great experience and years removed from my crappy torts and property grades, i'm completely shut-out.

Your grades aren't dispositive here. It's the whole package: Not a stellar school, bad grades and background at a firm that big firms won't respect.

I know that sounds harsh, but I'm just trying to be blunt so you get a full picture. If you had snuck into a big law firm with your credentials and waited until year three to lateral to another big law firm, you'd probably have been fine.

bobtyme

Postby bobtyme » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:27 pm

zweitbester wrote:
bobtyme wrote:
Pokemon wrote:

Your grades aren't dispositive here. It's the whole package: Not a stellar school, bad grades and background at a firm that big firms won't respect.

I know that sounds harsh, but I'm just trying to be blunt so you get a full picture. If you had snuck into a big law firm with your credentials and waited until year three to lateral to another big law firm, you'd probably have been fine.

Why do you assume that biglaw firms wont respect my experience? My firm has the same type of attorneys present in biglaw firms. I do exactly the same kind of work with respect to representing fortune 100 companies in employment litigation matters.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:14 pm

bobtyme wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
bobtyme wrote:
Pokemon wrote:

Why do you assume that biglaw firms wont respect my experience? My firm has the same type of attorneys present in biglaw firms. I do exactly the same kind of work with respect to representing fortune 100 companies in employment litigation matters.

Why do you assume he's assuming that? What he said is right. Is it fair? I have no fucking idea. Is it likely why the recruiter chases your grades and experience twin at the biglaw firm but tells you that you have no chance at biglaw?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 pm

bobtyme wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
bobtyme wrote:Your grades aren't dispositive here. It's the whole package: Not a stellar school, bad grades and background at a firm that big firms won't respect.

Do you know how many firms in biglaw have booming labor and employment practices? I got the sense that L&E was considered an ancillary practice that a lot of firms offered so that they could claim they were "full service" and could handle all of the corporate work coming out of the big fortune 500 companies. Your firm may be taking the scraps leftover from those practices. Just my impression from talking with a guy at a mid law firm that did a lot of L&E and some biglaw people who said it wasn't a big area.

bobtyme

Postby bobtyme » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 pm

objecion wrote:The odds of a “yes” here are probably only 1%, but I’ll ask anyway. In your three years do you have a track record of creating rain or a compelling story that you can?

Not really. I did attend a lot of business development activities but no rain.

bobtyme

Postby bobtyme » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 pm

bdubs wrote:
bobtyme wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
bobtyme wrote:Your grades aren't dispositive here. It's the whole package: Not a stellar school, bad grades and background at a firm that big firms won't respect.

Do you know how many firms in biglaw have booming labor and employment practices? I got the sense that L&E was considered an ancillary practice that a lot of firms offered so that they could claim they were "full service" and could handle all of the corporate work coming out of the big fortune 500 companies. Your firm may be taking the scraps leftover from those practices. Just my impression from talking with a guy at a mid law firm that did a lot of L&E and some biglaw people who said it wasn't a big area.

I guess that's a good point I haven't thought about before. Maybe i'm in the best area of law for me. Maybe I'm marketable with all those midlaw firms who handle these L&E claims. The thing is though...there aren't a lot of midlaw firms in the market in comparison to biglaw or shitlaw.

anon333

Postby anon333 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Why are you so intent on biglaw?

Return to “Legal Employment”