Work experience/reference impact on hiring

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Objection57

Work experience/reference impact on hiring

Postby Objection57 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:08 am

How much consideration do firms give to a student's previous work experience/references when hiring? Specifically, if I didn't get along with my boss at the FT job I had before law school, and a firm contacts him for a reference, will a bad one ruin my chances, even if I have good grades?

OutCold

Re: Work experience/reference impact on hiring

Postby OutCold » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:25 pm

I don't think any big firm is going to call your references, or even ask for references for that matter. I could be wrong, but that is my experience through two OCI seasons dealing with two primary and one secondary market.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:29 pm

OutCold wrote:I don't think any big firm is going to call your references, or even ask for references for that matter. I could be wrong, but that is my experience through two OCI seasons dealing with two primary and one secondary market.

Some firms (like Covington) are known for actually calling references, but they're the exception

Objection57

Postby Objection57 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:34 pm

Really? That surprises me. So I shouldn't worry about firms investigating past work files and whatnot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Objection57 wrote:Really? That surprises me. So I shouldn't worry about firms investigating past work files and whatnot?

No, not for most firms, although a state Attorney General did request and apparently contact my references for a 1L position. So it happens in legal hiring. But the firm I'm working for this summer didnt request any.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Objection57 wrote:Really? That surprises me. So I shouldn't worry about firms investigating past work files and whatnot?

I've heard of references being called as part of a background check after you've accepted an SA offer, so it's not like someone would be able to get away with just making stuff up.

Objection57

Postby Objection57 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:37 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

I've heard of references being called as part of a background check after you've accepted an SA offer, so it's not like someone would be able to get away with just making stuff up.

I definitely wouldn't make stuff up. I was just worried that something less than favorable from a past job could seriously hurt my chances.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:40 pm

It depends on if the firm is actually interested in you because of the work experience. In most cases it probably won't matter.

Return to “Legal Employment”