SEC v. USAO (NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC v. USAO (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:17 am

Hey, folks --

1L here. Deciding between an internship in the SEC (enforcement division) and the NY USAO offices. Any advice? I think I'm more interested in being an AUSA long-term, but applied to the SEC because the work came highly recommended and it seemed like a good opportunity to learn more about securities litigation/financial regulation. Any advice much appreciated. I don't really feel like I can go wrong here, but I wanted to check in if anyone out in the ether has worked in both.

Thanks!

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: SEC v. USAO (NY)

Post by Grazzhoppa » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:31 pm

have you heard back from either?

gfd973

New

Post by gfd973 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:25 am

Seconded. Waiting to hear back from both as well. OP, what was your interview timeline to offer date?

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:33 am

You can't go wrong. It really depends on what you are interested in. Bear in mind that your 1L summer is your chance to explore anything you might be interested in before getting shackled to a firm for a few years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:20 pm

OP here. Yes, I've heard back from all of these. I got the news within a week to two weeks of interviewing.

Re: OutCold -- yeah. I guess I have a sense that I'd get to see a greater variety of work at any of the USAO offices, but that the work at the SEC might be more substantive. But for now, I'm leaning towards USAO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pete Venkman

New

Post by Pete Venkman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 pm

I feel like a 1L stint with the SEC is more rare than USAO internships, so it might help you stand out more/be more unique.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Yes, I've heard back from all of these. I got the news within a week to two weeks of interviewing.

Re: OutCold -- yeah. I guess I have a sense that I'd get to see a greater variety of work at any of the USAO offices, but that the work at the SEC might be more substantive. But for now, I'm leaning towards USAO.
Friends that have worked in the NYC USAOs have all said they got a really good substantive experience. Either way, if you make a few connections, they will serve you well later if you try to go back down the road. I know the USAO hiring process is pretty political.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 pm

OutCold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Yes, I've heard back from all of these. I got the news within a week to two weeks of interviewing.

Friends that have worked in the NYC USAOs have all said they got a really good substantive experience. Either way, if you make a few connections, they will serve you well later if you try to go back down the road. I know the USAO hiring process is pretty political.
This. If you want to be an AUSA, having interned at a USAO, especially the one you want to work for, is a big help. (Or so all my interviewers told me during my USAO interview.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”