DA Internship - Brooklyn or Queens

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DA Internship - Brooklyn or Queens

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Hey everyone. I will most likely have to make a decision between the Brooklyn or Queens DA for a 2L summer internship. I was wondering what this community's impression of each office is. I know Brooklyn just went through a radical leadership change, and I know Queens pays better.

If anyone can speak to how each office handles its interns that would be most appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: DA Internship - Brooklyn or Queens

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Avoid Brooklyn like the plague unless it's the only offer you get. Even then, you still should consider other options. It's the most dysfunctional prosecutor's office in the state, if not the entire country minus a few troublesome rural offices. It's been in complete free-fall since 1989, and it's likely to stay the same, if not worse, under Thompson. It's extremely political and they've lost every semblance of ethical, dispassionate decisionmaking. Anyone who practices in the criminal side in NYC will tell you the same thing.

Queens, on the other hand, is pretty much the best there is (outside Manhattan, of course).

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone. I will most likely have to make a decision between the Brooklyn or Queens DA for a 2L summer internship. I was wondering what this community's impression of each office is. I know Brooklyn just went through a radical leadership change, and I know Queens pays better.

If anyone can speak to how each office handles its interns that would be most appreciated.

PM me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone. I will most likely have to make a decision between the Brooklyn or Queens DA for a 2L summer internship. I was wondering what this community's impression of each office is. I know Brooklyn just went through a radical leadership change, and I know Queens pays better.

I know two people who interned at Brooklyn as 1L's and two people who interned at Queens as 1L's. It sounds like the Brooklyn kids didn't get a whole lot of exposure whereas the Queens ones were assigned to more advanced bureaus, and seemed to enjoy it more. I'm assuming as a 2L, that would be even more true.

As far as a permanent position, there's no question Manhattan is the #1 game in town. My impression from interning there is that the ADA's don't see much of a difference between Queens and Brooklyn (though it's totally up in the air now with a new DA), and then the Bronx.

Return to “Legal Employment”