Paramount Pictures Legal Internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paramount Pictures Legal Internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Hey just wondering if anybody has any info about Paramount's summer JD program in LA? I have a phone interview next week and there is so little information online about the program, nothing in the job description, so I went as far as to look for people on Linkedin that did it in the past haha

Thus far I think it is heavily contractual work?

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks!

PepperJack

Re: Paramount Pictures Legal Internship?

Postby PepperJack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:41 pm

For 1L, I think it's great if you get any substantive work. If you have a background in acting or the movie industry, it could be counterproductive because firms that don't have major entertainment practices will be worried you won't be happy there. You're going to get a lot of "why us" questions followed by a lot of unflattering "uh-huhs". If you don't I think it may be better than working for a judge, because your interview is likely to be less repetitive for them. For 2L, it's only useful if you want entertainment, and not biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:20 am

PepperJack wrote:For 1L, I think it's great if you get any substantive work. If you have a background in acting or the movie industry, it could be counterproductive because firms that don't have major entertainment practices will be worried you won't be happy there. You're going to get a lot of "why us" questions followed by a lot of unflattering "uh-huhs". If you don't I think it may be better than working for a judge, because your interview is likely to be less repetitive for them. For 2L, it's only useful if you want entertainment, and not biglaw.

This is the TCR. Be careful how you frame your 1L job depending on your background. If this is your only entertainment thing then most people will look at it as a cool job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:00 am

OP:

That makes sense. So basically the idea is that if it is the only entertainment piece on your resume, you just say you had a great substantive 1L experience at a cool company etc. and there is no real notion of you only wanting to do entertainment vs. having quite a bit on your resume will make it seem like you really only want to practice in that area?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:19 pm

congrats on the interview! are you from LA or do you go to school in LA? you can probably spin that in your favor

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:48 pm

I had a similar job 1L summer at another film studio, which was great for OCI for a few reasons- interviewers remembered you because it was something 'cool' and different on your resume, basically just not something they see everyday in their interviews- I wasn't like every other kid who worked for some judge or at some firm doing the same old bs research/writing that everyone is doing 1L summer- so I stood out. Also, it makes the interviews way less awkward because you have a lot to talk about- since it is such a unique experience, interviewers are genuinely curious as to what the experience was like and it provides great opportunity for easy dialogue/conversation in the interview. At my job, I did a lot of contract work, sitting in on negotiations, drafting agreements and what not- this was great since I am interested in transactional work, so at OCI I was able to talk about the practical experience I had with drafting and the deal-making process ect-- employers really seemed to like that

It would def be a fantastic way to spend your 1L summer, and I would highly recommend it. For your interview, I would say you should straight up ask them what the job entails since you couldn't find any info (I don't think this would be inappropriate since I'm sure they realize that they didn't put out a bunch of info on the job), and then, based on what they say, just spin some bs as to why it would be perfect slash is exactly what you are looking for

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm

bump, I have an interview from paramount this week. Can OP provide some new information as assumably you have taken the interview? Thanks

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP:

That makes sense. So basically the idea is that if it is the only entertainment piece on your resume, you just say you had a great substantive 1L experience at a cool company etc. and there is no real notion of you only wanting to do entertainment vs. having quite a bit on your resume will make it seem like you really only want to practice in that area?

I'm just guessing. You could frame it as just being something you're interested in purely academically. It's not that unheard of for lawyers at big firms to do legal work for "starving artist" types as their pro bono service. I do know some interviewers will be close minded about things that aren't the normal path. We're not exactly speaking about a profession known for its social or creative innovation. On the other hand, it could result in you being more attractive with firms who think it's cool, which may be a better fit. Conservatively if the goal is any firm as the #1 initiative and the grades make that result probable then a judge would be safer. If you're interested in LA firms or have weak grades or want a firm with that type of practice then that would probs be better.

Return to “Legal Employment”