Depressed T25 2L needs help!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Depressed T25 2L needs help!

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Sub-3.0 GPA--a smattering of A's, B's, and C's. Failed a class that I am retaking. Wildly erratic grades, though fall 2L was the best--just shy of a 3.6.

No debt because of merit scholly, outside scholly, and parents helping out with living expenses.

Had a PI jerb 1L summer (PD or Legal Aid) and have a paid 2L PI summer gig lined up, also one of PD or Legal Aid.

Hustlin' like cray to get as much hands-on experience as possible. Interning at 2 places this year for ~20 hours total. Proficient in Spanish and continuing to refine my proficiency, as I know that Spanish language ability is valued by PDs and Legal Aid.

HALP ME!!!

Tiago Splitter

Re: Depressed T25 2L needs help!

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:44 pm

What do you need help with? Sounds like you're on the right track if you are hoping to go the PD/Legal Aid route.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:What do you need help with? Sounds like you're on the right track if you are hoping to go the PD/Legal Aid route.

just what to do going forward, you know, how to avoid being forever ensconced in the Vale. :shock:

if i hated law and the practice of it, i would have left after 1L but that is not the case. i have no debt, plus i love my internships and am sort of enjoying classes (at least the more practicum-oriented ones)

i just cannot get over the inferiority complex. walking around campus and knowing that everyone else is doing better than me. it just sucks to scrape the bottom of the barrel. trying hard to overcompensate by doing as much as i can to show demonstrated commitment to public interest. :oops: :cry:

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:08 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:You've had a PI job 1L summer, have a paid PI job lined up for this summer, and have no debt. I'm not sure what you mean by scraping the bottom of the barrel, but you're in a decent position. PI gigs aren't known for being grade-conscious, so you're not doomed to be in the Vale forever.

This thread reads more like a humble-brag and middle-school girl's plea for compliments than anything else.

by "scraping the bottom of the barrel" i mean that i am towards the bottom in terms of class rank, and thinking about the hoardes of folks with PI aspirations who are above me.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:What do you need help with? Sounds like you're on the right track if you are hoping to go the PD/Legal Aid route.

just what to do going forward, you know, how to avoid being forever ensconced in the Vale. :shock:

if i hated law and the practice of it, i would have left after 1L but that is not the case. i have no debt, plus i love my internships and am sort of enjoying classes (at least the more practicum-oriented ones)

i just cannot get over the inferiority complex. walking around campus and knowing that everyone else is doing better than me. it just sucks to scrape the bottom of the barrel. trying hard to overcompensate by doing as much as i can to show demonstrated commitment to public interest. :oops: :cry:

You sound like you need professional help in dealing with depression. You aren't in a bad spot right now. You can't control the future.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:20 pm

You have a 3.6 and are not median? Surprising to me. 3.6 as some schools will get you honors.

eaternation

Postby eaternation » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Op said Sub 3.0 gpa overall. But close to 3.6 his last semester

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:56 pm

eaternation wrote:Op said Sub 3.0 gpa overall. But close to 3.6 his last semester

Where'd you get them reading skills? Gotta get me some of that.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:49 pm

When you retake this class is the F still on your transcript or what happens to it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:21 pm

worldtraveler wrote:When you retake this class is the F still on your transcript or what happens to it?

F will be replaced by the new grade...

Thank god i've never been asked for a transcript, lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:09 am

brotherdarkness wrote:This thread reads more like a humble-brag and middle-school girl's plea for compliments than anything else.

OP says he/she is depressed and has a sub-3.0 GPA and your response is to call them out? That's really not helpful.

OP, your school should have counsellors available, even though they probably do a very poor job of advertising it. Law schools would rather pretend depression isn't a substantial issue (it seems they like to focus on substance abuse instead), but the reality is that over 40% of law students will have been depressed at some point during law school by the time they graduate. Forced curves plus students who have never been below average at anything is a rough combination, and that's before you even factor in the job market.

It's probably of little consolation to you, but half of your classmates are also below median. And although PI jobs are also competitive, your 1L and 2L summer employers have obviously seen a lot of things in you that they didn't see in other students with better grades.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:13 am

You really never know how other people are doing. People may seem confident and put-together, but they could be struggling too. So don't worry about it and compare yourself to others, just enjoy your success - both last semester and in your internships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 pm

bump

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a PI jerb 1L summer (PD or Legal Aid) and have a paid 2L PI summer gig lined up, also one of PD or Legal Aid.

Hustlin' like cray to get as much hands-on experience as possible. Interning at 2 places this year for ~20 hours total. Proficient in Spanish and continuing to refine my proficiency, as I know that Spanish language ability is valued by PDs and Legal Aid.

HALP ME!!!

Stop the incessant use of hip slang; it's annoying. I know that advice is petty, but you're the one who bumped the thread after having already received thoughtful advice. I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

dead head

Postby dead head » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:20 am

rpupkin wrote:Stop the incessant use of hip slang; it's annoying. I know that advice is petty, but you're the one who bumped the thread after having already received thoughtful advice. I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

It's not just petty, it's not advice, and it's really not constructive. The OP says she's depressed and it's entirely possible she's just trying to inject a bit of levity lest she come off as depressing as fuck. You might not be sure what she was looking for with her bump, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't looking for any of the crap you posted.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:34 am

dead head wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Stop the incessant use of hip slang; it's annoying. I know that advice is petty, but you're the one who bumped the thread after having already received thoughtful advice. I'm not sure what else you're looking for.

It's not just petty, it's not advice, and it's really not constructive. The OP says she's depressed and it's entirely possible she's just trying to inject a bit of levity lest she come off as depressing as fuck. You might not be sure what she was looking for with her bump, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't looking for any of the crap you posted.

Sorry for not being sorry, but the OP didn't add any new information; he or she just revived a month-old thread after having already received advice. You're going to invite snarky comments when you do this. Putting the word "depressed" in your subject line doesn't give you a license to necro your own thread and then not receive the occasional bit of TLS sarcasm.

OP: It sounds like you're doing really well under the circumstances. You're doing all the right things.

dead head

Postby dead head » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:47 am

rpupkin wrote:Sorry for not being sorry, but the OP didn't add any new information; he or she just revived a month-old thread after having already received advice. You're going to invite snarky comments when you do this. Putting the word "depressed" in your subject line doesn't give you a license to necro your own thread and then not receive the occasional bit of TLS sarcasm.

According to the forum rules, the employment forum is supposed to be a place for constructive advice. I don't understand the context-free bump, either, but I don't think it's a license for anyone to go out of their way to be a dick. You also seem to misunderstand the meaning of sarcasm.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170603 wrote:The moderators are not asking you to blow sunshine up anyone's backside, but if your posting doesn't add something to the discussion, expect to be banned, the length of which ban will be entirely dependent on the opinion of the banning moderator. If you have to ask whether your comment adds something constructive to the thread, then it doesn't.

Return to “Legal Employment”