Mean and Median Salaries for Different Areas of Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kaitlyn1777

Mean and Median Salaries for Different Areas of Law

Postby kaitlyn1777 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:33 pm

I know this topic is pretty broad, but I am looking for any research done on it. I know different salaries depend on geographic area, and in a lot of instances a lawyer may not practice just one particular type of law. I've looked on the US Bureau of Labor Stats but couldn't find a real breakdown. I'm not yet in law school and am actually having to use this information to write a paper for my senior research paper. I figured this forum would be a good place to get some valuable info and advice! Thanks!

jkpolk

Re: Mean and Median Salaries for Different Areas of Law

Postby jkpolk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:41 pm

kaitlyn1777 wrote:I know this topic is pretty broad, but I am looking for any research done on it. I know different salaries depend on geographic area, and in a lot of instances a lawyer may not practice just one particular type of law. I've looked on the US Bureau of Labor Stats but couldn't find a real breakdown. I'm not yet in law school and am actually having to use this information to write a paper for my senior research paper. I figured this forum would be a good place to get some valuable info and advice! Thanks!

For the areas where those numbers would be usefully descriptive/representative the practices are all the same - random firm x isnt shelling out different salaries for different specialities. For the areas where the practices are not the same, and people are hustling on their own in whatever specialt(ies) they can find work, those numbers would be difficult/impossible to acquire and hilariously mis-discriptive of what it means to be a practitioner.

ClerkAdvisor

Postby ClerkAdvisor » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:16 am

kaitlyn1777 wrote:I know this topic is pretty broad, but I am looking for any research done on it. I know different salaries depend on geographic area, and in a lot of instances a lawyer may not practice just one particular type of law. I've looked on the US Bureau of Labor Stats but couldn't find a real breakdown. I'm not yet in law school and am actually having to use this information to write a paper for my senior research paper. I figured this forum would be a good place to get some valuable info and advice! Thanks!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170603

glitched

Postby glitched » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:03 am

Nationwide:
Antitrust = $205k
Banking and Finance = $220k
Bankruptcy = $178k
Capital Markets = $245k
Corporate = $215k
Intellectual Property = $221k
Labor and Employment = $150k