Phone call regarding 2L grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Phone call regarding 2L grades

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Well, this is new. I've never heard of anything like this happening. I'm genuinely curious as to what your grades were like this past semester and how much of a drop that was from where you were after 1L.

OP here. Yes, this really caught me off-guard. I've been reading this forum for ages and I have never heard of such a thing.

My 1L GPA was right at median. I cannot post my exact fall grades for obvious reasons, but I did get a C and my GPA for that semester was about .3 lower than the median curve.

Maybe it's because my 1L grades weren't that good to begin with, so I was already on a short leash.

At every T14 I'm aware of, a C is the equivalent of a failing grade. IIRC, even one C at my T14 would result in an academic warning... I can understand if a firm is concerned in this, relatively unique, situation where an incoming SA is at risk of dropping to the bottom of the class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Anyone heard of a firm asking for 3L fall grades? I've already received/accepted an offer (and it's not an individual request). I've heard of post-3L to verify you've graduated, etc. Curious.

objecion

Postby objecion » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:03 pm

Silence is your friend.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Agree, nothing to do but keep quiet and try to kill it this semester. It might be prudent to apply for clerkships and prep for 3L OCI just in case a no-offer does happen, but there's not much else you can do at this point to prevent it.

911 crisis actor

Postby 911 crisis actor » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
NYstate wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:My guess is that the firm (or firms in general, perhaps) isn't taking too kindly to the notion of its 2L OCI offerees just slacking through the remaining 2 years of law school - something which I'd guess was quite common many years ago. I don't blame firms for trying to prevent a return to that era either.

If I were you, and if I have any more contact with the firm before the summer, I'd just try to explain that you're still working hard but something went wrong in the class you got a C in. I would imagine the other classes were median or better, or else you'd of dropped by more than you did. if you can convince them you've still got your head in the game, there probably isn't THAT much to worry about yet.

I wouldn't do this. Don't remind them of your bad grade.
Is there anything else you can do to burnish your academic resume? Articles or work with a prestigious prof? Not sure if that would help.

Negative

Reach out to the firm two weeks from the date of the phone call.
1. Say thank you for taking the time to reach out. Clearly you made an impression for ANYONE to take the time to call you about this matter

2. Restate you understand the firm's concerns and take full responsibility for drop in grades.

3. Advise what you are doing to remedy the matter.

All of this should take no more than three lines within the body of an email.

4. Signature Line
Sincerely,
[first and last name]
[name of law school]

5. I forgot to mention proper greetings and salutations (Mr. or Ms. I would not jump to Mrs.)

Do not attempt to call. Within the subject line. write FOLLOW UP: Phone conference (date of conversation) your first and last name (the firm's name of the summer program)

- it is important to give complete but direct information in the subject line. These people are busy and you do not want them trying to figure out who you are amongst the 175+ emails they receive on the regular.

stay of TLS and STUDY

good luck

This is an amazing post and should be permanently stickied

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:10 am

lol. Seems like a great culture there...

Return to “Legal Employment”