2L Summer: International firm or company counsel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Summer: International firm or company counsel?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:32 pm

I struck out at OCI after a few callbacks, due to median grades (at a T14) and an interest in a shrunken field (transactional work). Since it seems like a firm is out of my reach ever again, I was looking into compliance jobs at companies - I'm interested in it, you can get hired out of law school (my grades have improved by a decent amount), and you get paid a bit. My dream remains transactional work at a firm, but I just don't know how realistic that is at this point. I've seen the 3L vale of tears, and it scares me.

For this summer, I can either work in Asia for a firm, doing interesting things like M&A and cross-border transactions, or for the general counsel of a large company, though I'd be doing things on an as-needed basis, so my projects could vary a lot. Both offers are time-sensitive, and I don't know which is best in terms of future employment. For the Asia firm, would it sound okay if I told employers that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I wanted to travel while I was young, so it wouldn't be too out of their general employment realm? Or is an international firm a bad choice? Please help!

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Summer: International firm or company counsel?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I struck out at OCI after a few callbacks, due to median grades (at a T14) and an interest in a shrunken field (transactional work). Since it seems like a firm is out of my reach ever again, I was looking into compliance jobs at companies - I'm interested in it, you can get hired out of law school (my grades have improved by a decent amount), and you get paid a bit. My dream remains transactional work at a firm, but I just don't know how realistic that is at this point. I've seen the 3L vale of tears, and it scares me.

For this summer, I can either work in Asia for a firm, doing interesting things like M&A and cross-border transactions, or for the general counsel of a large company, though I'd be doing things on an as-needed basis, so my projects could vary a lot. Both offers are time-sensitive, and I don't know which is best in terms of future employment. For the Asia firm, would it sound okay if I told employers that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I wanted to travel while I was young, so it wouldn't be too out of their general employment realm? Or is an international firm a bad choice? Please help!

I had two classmates working at offices in Japan and Hong Kong for their 2L summer. They both received offers for their respective offices; one was able to transfer to the same firm but in NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I had two classmates working at offices in Japan and Hong Kong for their 2L summer. They both received offers for their respective offices; one was able to transfer to the same firm but in NY.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this firm has any US offices (though it has a few in other Asian countries). Also don't know whether offers are something to look forward to here, but it does make me hopeful that your classmates received offers. Any thoughts on whether this experience looks good for 3L OCI (I know, I know) or future job-seeking prospects if no offers are given?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:56 pm

bump bump bump

Return to “Legal Employment”