Wedding during SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wedding during SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 am

2L here. I have a biglaw gig this summer, at a firm that has a reputation for working SA's on weekends. I'm also supposed to be the quasi-man-of-honor at my friend's wedding in may. The wedding is over a weekend, but it's out of state, and falls on the second weekend of my SA.

I am concerned about working the weekend of the wedding, especially since the wedding is for a close friend. I feel equally weird telling the firm that I already need to block off a weekend. I know that an SA is a long-term interview of sorts and I don't want to take my chances with a potential no-offer.

I haven't said anything to my firm, but I've hinted at some concerns to my friend. Advice on how to handle this gracefully?

I know I sound insane. No need telling me. Thanks for advice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Re: Wedding during SA

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L here. I have a biglaw gig this summer, at a firm that has a reputation for working SA's on weekends.

well there's your problem

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:17 am

Tell recruiting as soon as possible. Tell attorneys you are working with over the summer, making sure to give them plenty of advance notice and a reminder close to the weekend. Should not be be an issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:43 am

It should be fine as long as you communicate your unavailability to the firm at the start of the summer and before taking on any projects that may conflict. No one is going to fail to hire you because you decided to attend your own wedding. There are plenty of summers that they can give work too, and as long as you do a good job on other projects, you'll be fine.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:It should be fine as long as you communicate your unavailability to the firm at the start of the summer and before taking on any projects that may conflict. No one is going to fail to hire you because you decided to attend your own wedding. There are plenty of summers that they can give work too, and as long as you do a good job on other projects, you'll be fine.

It's not his wedding. I would talk to recruiting or the summer coordinator now. Make sure everyone knows from the beginning.

My guess is that people will be a little annoyed if they expect you to be there the second weekend of work. Just don't take any project that will require you to be there.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It should be fine as long as you communicate your unavailability to the firm at the start of the summer and before taking on any projects that may conflict. No one is going to fail to hire you because you decided to attend your own wedding. There are plenty of summers that they can give work too, and as long as you do a good job on other projects, you'll be fine.

It's not his wedding. I would talk to recruiting or the summer coordinator now. Make sure everyone knows from the beginning.

My guess is that people will be a little annoyed if they expect you to be there the second weekend of work. Just don't take any project that will require you to be there.

I don't know. I'm more of the position that if a summer program is expecting you to work every weekend of the summer and it's gauche for you to take a weekend off to go to a wedding, you should probably think about prepping for 3L OCI and avoid the firm in general.

Unless it's like WLRK or something and you get off on the idea of working 365 days a year.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:16 pm

zweitbester wrote:
NYstate wrote:

I don't know. I'm more of the position that if a summer program is expecting you to work every weekend of the summer and it's gauche for you to take a weekend off to go to a wedding, you should probably think about prepping for 3L OCI and avoid the firm in general.

Unless it's like WLRK or something and you get off on the idea of working 365 days a year.

He said the firm expects you to be there on weekends. Maybe he overstated it. He isn't getting 3L anything without an offer from this firm.

I not telling him not to go, he just better make sure everyone knows about it. He should just say he's the best man and it's his best friends wedding.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:19 pm

ask if you can telecommute during the ceremony

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:31 pm

NYstate wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
NYstate wrote:

He said the firm expects you to be there on weekends. Maybe he overstated it. He isn't getting 3L anything without an offer from this firm.

I not telling him not to go, he just better make sure everyone knows about it. He should just say he's the best man and it's his best friends wedding.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you. If this is a firm that really expects that (and there's a solid chance OP is exaggerating), he should ditch the wedding and look elsewhere once he gets the offer. Unless he enjoys that sort of culture.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here. I have a biglaw gig this summer, at a firm that has a reputation for working SA's on weekends. I'm also supposed to be the quasi-man-of-honor at my friend's (hippie) wedding in may. The wedding is over a weekend, but it's out of state, and falls on the second weekend of my SA.

I am concerned about working the weekend of the wedding, especially since the wedding is for a close friend. I feel equally weird telling the firm that I already need to block off a weekend. I know that an SA is a long-term interview of sorts and I don't want to take my chances with a potential no-offer.

I haven't said anything to my firm, but I've hinted at some concerns to my friend. Advice on how to handle this gracefully?

I know I sound insane. No need telling me. Thanks for advice.

Biglaw associate here. A girl in my class had to take off a Friday in addition to being gone over the weekend for a wedding during our SA. It wasn't an issue at all and she got an offer at the end of the summer. If you're in NYC biglaw, I can pretty much guarantee you will not be no-offered over this. You have to keep in mind that the firms want a 100% offer rate and wouldn't jeopardize it for something so trivial, especially something that has nothing to do with your work product or behavior. However, this might not be true at some secondary market biglaw firms that weren't planning on giving 100% offers to begin with.

ETA: I agree with the people who said you should let recruiting know beforehand. Also let the assigning partner or whoever is in charge of coordinating the summers' assignments know. That person can intercede on your behalf if you are staffed on an assignment that requires you to work that weekend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:27 am

zweitbester wrote:
NYstate wrote:

Know a few WLRK SA's who took off weekends (and Friday) to attend weddings during their summers.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:47 am

So the only conclusion is that OP is exaggerating.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:49 am

zweitbester wrote:So the only conclusion is that OP is exaggerating.

well, all he said is that the firm has a reputation for working summers on weekends. that doesn't necessarily mean the firm has any problem letting him take a weekend off for a wedding.

Return to “Legal Employment”