Multiple 1L SA Offers in smaller market - What to do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Multiple 1L SA Offers in smaller market - What to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi,

Near top of my class at a T14 and have multiple offers in the Wilmington, DE market (I'm from there, plan on living and working there long-term, wasn't a tough sell). I have offers from two firms, either of which I would be happy to work at, but I also believe I'm competitive for the Skadden 1L position in the Wilmington office, but I won't know until next week. One of my offers expires in a week, probably before I'll hear from Skadden, and another soon thereafter - if it comes to it, do I take one of the offers before hearing back from Skadden? Or wait and swing for the fences? Or are there any other alternatives/options? Never imagined this would be a problem I'd face, would really appreciate any advice.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Multiple 1L SA Offers in smaller market - What to do?

Postby ph14 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Near top of my class at a T14 and have multiple offers in the Wilmington, DE market (I'm from there, plan on living and working there long-term, wasn't a tough sell). I have offers from two firms, either of which I would be happy to work at, but I also believe I'm competitive for the Skadden 1L position in the Wilmington office, but I won't know until next week. One of my offers expires in a week, probably before I'll hear from Skadden, and another soon thereafter - if it comes to it, do I take one of the offers before hearing back from Skadden? Or wait and swing for the fences? Or are there any other alternatives/options? Never imagined this would be a problem I'd face, would really appreciate any advice.


First, ask Skadden if you could hear back before your other offer expires. Second, if that doesn't work, ask the firm which you have an offer from if they would extend your decision deadline because you are still waiting to hear back from all of your applications/interviews (interviews sounds better). If that doesn't work either, then take the bird in the hand. Though it might be helpful to work at Skadden as a 1L if you wanted to work there after graduation, in the end, in your situation, you shouldn't decline a good (paid, I assume) job offer that you have in favor of a job offer which you do not know that you have.

Moreover, if you are looking for any other firm besides Skadden after graduation, then what you do as a 1L isn't particularly important. I'd think that just returning to the DE market would be the best thing you could do.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Multiple 1L SA Offers in smaller market - What to do?

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31 pm

TCR might be to work for your 2nd choice as a 1L and do Skadden DE as a 2L. It would give you two shots at finding something you like instead of one. Just bc Skadden is highly ranked doesn't mean it will necessarily be the best fit for you.

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Multiple 1L SA Offers in smaller market - What to do?

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:13 am

Definitely ask if they'll extend your deadline. I'd caution against taking Skadden over other firms just because of prestige, though, since you may fit in better at one of the other firms. There are a lot of chiller places than Skadden.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Multiple 1L SA Offers in smaller market - What to do?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks a lot guys, that really helps. I'm leaning heavily towards one of the offers I already have. I met a lot of the people there and it seems like a great fit. It's just that the Skadden 1L Scholars program pays about 1K/week more, and you get a lot of different experiences, plus a guaranteed 2L position. Seems like if I get this, I can effectively be done with law school early.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.