Security Clearance Forms for Different Government Agencies

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Security Clearance Forms for Different Government Agencies

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Apologize if this has been posted somewhere, but I can't find on-point info.

I'm interested in figuring out what different government agencies require re: security forms - SF-85, SF-85P, SF-86, etc. In particular, I'm interested in the forms for the SEC, the Treasury Department, the White House internship, and different USAO offices. Does anyone have info on these?

Responses like "just don't be an idiot and do stupid things," "don't work for the government if you don't have a spotless record," etc. aren't helpful - please only respond if you know for sure which forms these offices ask for. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Security Clearance Forms for Different Government Agencies

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:15 pm

USAO uses SF85P Format Plus Supplement (Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions)

haus

Postby haus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologize if this has been posted somewhere, but I can't find on-point info.

I'm interested in figuring out what different government agencies require re: security forms - SF-85, SF-85P, SF-86, etc. In particular, I'm interested in the forms for the SEC, the Treasury Department, the White House internship, and different USAO offices. Does anyone have info on these?

Responses like "just don't be an idiot and do stupid things," "don't work for the government if you don't have a spotless record," etc. aren't helpful - please only respond if you know for sure which forms these offices ask for. Thanks!

Even within a given office the forms will vary some, in part based on the level of clearance that a person is being submitted for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:USAO uses SF85P Format Plus Supplement (Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions)

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm

haus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apologize if this has been posted somewhere, but I can't find on-point info.

Even within a given office the forms will vary some, in part based on the level of clearance that a person is being submitted for.

Gotcha. Still, if anyone has anecdotal info here for any of the listed agencies, I would appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:USAO uses SF85P Format Plus Supplement (Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions)

Hmmm. Every USAO district I know makes attorneys do the SF-86, the national security check. I don't think it's a level thing, like Top Clearance, Top Top Clearance, or the like (though I suppose some senior attorneys working on terrorism/national security cases may get additional clearance). I know that when I clerked, my judge had an espionage case, and the rest of chambers had to get clearance to read classified materials, but most USAO cases don't involve classified materials.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Hmmm. Every USAO district I know makes attorneys do the SF-86, the national security check.

If the are submitting you for a secret or top secret, you will have to fill out the SF-86, the SP-85 will be the form you will be asked to fill out if you are only being submitted for a position of public trust.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm

haus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hmmm. Every USAO district I know makes attorneys do the SF-86, the national security check.

If the are submitting you for a secret or top secret, you will have to fill out the SF-86, the SP-85 will be the form you will be asked to fill out if you are only being submitted for a position of public trust.

Well, then I guess AUSAs have secret or top secret clearance, because we fill out the SF-86. It's just not described as you getting a secret/top secret clearance; it's just your background check.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, then I guess AUSAs have secret or top secret clearance, because we fill out the SF-86. It's just not described as you getting a secret/top secret clearance; it's just your background check.

Some agencies will ask for the SF-86 even if they do not intended on granting clearances. I suspect that this gives greater flexibility than the traditional position of public trust background form, perhaps by having the extra information already on hand it could expedite the transition to a full clearance should the need arise down the road.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:49 pm

haus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, then I guess AUSAs have secret or top secret clearance, because we fill out the SF-86. It's just not described as you getting a secret/top secret clearance; it's just your background check.

Some agencies will ask for the SF-86 even if they do not intended on granting clearances. I suspect that this gives greater flexibility than the traditional position of public trust background form, perhaps by having the extra information already on hand it could expedite the transition to a full clearance should the need arise down the road.

Yeah, that makes sense. Looking at the instructions, the form is described as applying to national security positions and to positions requiring access to classified material, so I always understood those things as distinct.

owlofminerva

Postby owlofminerva » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:08 am

haus wrote:

I agree. Generally, for most run-of-the-mill positions in these areas, you are looking at the SF-85 for a position of trust across all of these agencies. If you are applying for a position that requires access to classified information (whether that be Confidential, Secret, Top Secret, or TS/SCI--doesn't matter), you will be required to fill out the SF-86. Some places, however, may still require a SF-86 instead of the 85 even if the position doesn't require classified access. These are going to be typically places, like a USAO, where you might end up a few years later moving into a position within the agency needing classified access (for example, starting in General Crimes at the USAO and later moving to the Terrorism group a couple years later). If you are merely asking just to get a leg up on starting paperwork, I would just say to assume you will need to do the SF-86 and work from that since it is more comprehensive.

Return to “Legal Employment”