Switching offices with the same firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching offices with the same firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:59 pm

I'm doing my 1L summer at a smaller regional office of a V25. My fiance's family is very near the firm's home office. How flexible are most firms with switching offices? I'd be happy to stay with the regional office so I don't want to hurt my relationship with them, but if we can get closer to family we'd much prefer that. Any advice?

ph14

Re: Switching offices with the same firm

Postby ph14 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing my 1L summer at a smaller regional office of a V25. My fiance's family is very near the firm's home office. How flexible are most firms with switching offices? I'd be happy to stay with the regional office so I don't want to hurt my relationship with them, but if we can get closer to family we'd much prefer that. Any advice?

I think that this is largely firm dependent, and will also depend on factors such as attorney's practice area, firm's practice areas and demand for associates in each office, etc. Personally, I'd wait until I had an offer in hand before trying anything. Once you get an offer in hand (likely to return for 2L summer) you should talk about how you would prefer the home's office. Especially since you are a 1L and could likely go elsewhere 2L to try and get back to the preferred city, you might have some luck, though if there isn't any need or projected need you might not have any luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”