Thank you emails for interviews involving multiple attorneys Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nickb285

Silver

Thank you emails for interviews involving multiple attorneys

Post by nickb285 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Re: Thank you emails for interviews involving multiple attorneys

Post by gdane » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Send it to everyone. Be genuine though. A simple "it was great meeting with you today. Thank you for the opportunity. I hope we can meet again some time in the future." Something to that extent.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 pm

nickb285 wrote:Everyone collectively or individually?
Individually.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:20 pm

There are many right answers to this, but my thought is that if you want to have one email for all the attorney's that went to the lunch, you can do that. It prevents you from having to be totally repetitive.

However, for any one-on-one interviews, it is best to send out a personal email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:24 pm

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but you could also just not send thank you emails. I don't know if different markets are more sensitive to this than others, but for the major markets I interviewed in (and secondary markets), I never sent thank you emails and still got offers from all those callbacks.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:27 pm

zweitbester wrote:I know I'm going to get flack for this, but you could also just not send thank you emails. I don't know if different markets are more sensitive to this than others, but for the major markets I interviewed in (and secondary markets), I never sent thank you emails and still got offers from all those callbacks.
Not sure why you would get flak. I didn't send thank you emails either and still was fine. But sounds like OP wants to send them.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:31 pm

zweitbester wrote:I know I'm going to get flack for this, but you could also just not send thank you emails. I don't know if different markets are more sensitive to this than others, but for the major markets I interviewed in (and secondary markets), I never sent thank you emails and still got offers from all those callbacks.
I'll provide the flack. I think its always a mistake not to send a thank you for two reasons:

1. Some people get pissy if they don't get one, no one gets pissy for getting one. Its best to do no harm.

2. Very infrequently, but occasionally, a thank you letter will be returned by an actual substantive response that can help keep the lines of communication open. Two of my interviewers replied back with a pretty lengthy response about the firm, market, and practice area. Even if that didn't help with hiring (since they probally were sold on me already, or have too much time on their hands), they ended up being a helpful resource for the X months between hiring and starting work. They helped me pick classes, gave some background on where in the city I should live, and set me up with people from my planned practice areas to give me a pretty good idea of the workflow there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:36 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
I'll provide the flack. I think its always a mistake not to send a thank you for two reasons:

1. Some people get pissy if they don't get one, no one gets pissy for getting one. Its best to do no harm.

2. Very infrequently, but occasionally, a thank you letter will be returned by an actual substantive response that can help keep the lines of communication open. Two of my interviewers replied back with a pretty lengthy response about the firm, market, and practice area. Even if that didn't help with hiring (since they probally were sold on me already, or have too much time on their hands), they ended up being a helpful resource for the X months between hiring and starting work. They helped me pick classes, gave some background on where in the city I should live, and set me up with people from my planned practice areas to give me a pretty good idea of the workflow there.
I'll respond to point 1: Most people don't get if they don't get one, but a typo or other sort of mistake could hurt you. Doing no harm could also be not sending a thank you note.

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm

gdane wrote:Send it to everyone. Be genuine though. A simple "it was great meeting with you today. Thank you for the opportunity. I hope we can meet again some time in the future." Something to that extent.
Agreed. I send to everyone at the firm (individually) that I met with that day. I just send a short, simple email along the lines of above, though I do typically include something specific that we discussed. I worry about them being too similar sometimes, so I just rearrange/change words to make them a little bit different/not look like a form. But in reality, you are thanking them for their time and not writing a book to them, so there are only so many ways of putting it.
SemperLegal wrote:2. Very infrequently, but occasionally, a thank you letter will be returned by an actual substantive response that can help keep the lines of communication open. Two of my interviewers replied back with a pretty lengthy response about the firm, market, and practice area. Even if that didn't help with hiring (since they probally were sold on me already, or have too much time on their hands), they ended up being a helpful resource for the X months between hiring and starting work. They helped me pick classes, gave some background on where in the city I should live, and set me up with people from my planned practice areas to give me a pretty good idea of the workflow there.
This happened to me as well. I like emailing thank yous for this reason - it opens a line of communication. There have been numerous who have replied including something about contacting them in the future, giving advice, keep them updated on x that we discussed, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Had an interviewer that was friends with the chief cso email her mentioning that only one student had sent a thank you email. V100 firm, third year associate.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:39 am

That's a lot of CB motion as a 1L. You must have had a successful semester: Congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 am

ph14 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

I'll respond to point 1: Most people don't get if they don't get one, but a typo or other sort of mistake could hurt you. Doing no harm could also be not sending a thank you note.
Every (biglaw) interviewer I've talked to has told me that they do not expect thank you emails, and most even advised against it. I agree with PH that you won't harm yourself by not sending one, but you run the risk of typos or just flat out sounding awkward or insincere in your email. Just about every interviewer has a story about the time they received a terrible thank you email that torpedoed the applicant's chances.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”