1L Summer Position at International Firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Position at International Firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I just received a summer offer from a boutique law firm in a major European financial center that I got through my career services office's international internship program. It's in a field that I'm very interested in but I think the size of the firm and the nature of the program means that I would be unlikely to receive a full time offer.

Is this something I should pursue given that I probably will have to tell employers at OCI that I didn't get an offer and going abroad for the summer might make me look unfocused? Or is the prospect of paid 1L summer work worth it?

For what it's worth I'm just above median at a lower T14 and have good finance related work experience.

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: 1L Summer Position at International Firm

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just received a summer offer from a boutique law firm in a major European financial center that I got through my career services office's international internship program. It's in a field that I'm very interested in but I think the size of the firm and the nature of the program means that I would be unlikely to receive a full time offer.

Is this something I should pursue given that I probably will have to tell employers at OCI that I didn't get an offer and going abroad for the summer might make me look unfocused? Or is the prospect of paid 1L summer work worth it?

For what it's worth I'm just above median at a lower T14 and have good finance related work experience.

Not getting an offer to return to a foreign boutique law firm will not negatively hurt you in any way. The fact you are bouncing out of country might have SOME implications on your intentions to stay in a specific region. Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:58 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just received a summer offer from a boutique law firm in a major European financial center that I got through my career services office's international internship program. It's in a field that I'm very interested in but I think the size of the firm and the nature of the program means that I would be unlikely to receive a full time offer.

Not getting an offer to return to a foreign boutique law firm will not negatively hurt you in any way. The fact you are bouncing out of country might have SOME implications on your intentions to stay in a specific region. Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

OP here. Looking for responses from anyone, not just the previous poster. Would you say that telling a stronger story of interest in corporate work is better than taking an unpaid position in a region I want to work? I'm not particularly attached to any place but right now my resume is very strongly DC/Baltimore focused, but I know that my grades, unless they improve this semester are going to push me towards NY.

florentine

Postby florentine » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 pm

OCI's is all about telling a story. If corporate work is what you are pursuing and you are doing corporate work abroad, you can simply say that this position provided you with the chance to experience corporate work in a diverse and international framework that will allow you to see the bigger picture in the future. Just tell a good story that will show that it furthered your interests in your specific field. Honestly, most OCI interviewers will probably be impressed and will more than likely ask a lot about that opportunity.

Also, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Sounds like fun.

Return to “Legal Employment”