how to email a former interviewer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how to email a former interviewer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi guys, I am a 3L still looking for employment. I want to email a partner that interviewed me for a SA back in 2L and I am wondering how I should go about it? We emailed back and forth for a little bit(and he said to contact him if I was looking for position by the time I was graduating) but have not talked for about a year now. This seems very awkward to me, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: how to email a former interviewer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:58 pm

This is understandably a difficult thing to do. However, know that you are not the only person doing this -- there are other doing the exact same thing right now. Toughen up. There's no shame. Your back is against the wall, just do it, tactfully.

IMO - Something to the effect of "I hope this note finds you well. Thank you for all your advice regarding XYZ. I wanted to give you an update on my progress, and was hoping we can discuss more about XYZ." Deemphasize the time gap between the last contact, and just try to pick up where things left off. Perhaps mention some specifics about previous conversation that will help jog his memory about you.

Everything will be OK. Look at it from a risk/reward perspective. There's very little downside. Just do it.

Anonymous User

Re: how to email a former interviewer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:06 pm

OP here, really appreciate the helpful response! So would you guys say it is alright for me to ask about jobs on my first email instead of just saying hi?

Return to “Legal Employment”