Google Hangout Interview - Wear a Suit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Google Hangout Interview - Wear a Suit?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:00 pm

The name says it all. I'm an idiot and left my suit at home when heading back to school after winter break, so it'd be a bit of an inconvenience to get it, plus I feel like I'll look like a bit of a dolt wearing a suit for a virtual interview. The alternative is a nice shirt/sweater/slacks combo.

Inb4 always wear a suit, jesus, what are you thinking!?!?

If it matters, the interview is with the Sierra Club. 1L summer internship.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Re: Google Hangout Interview - Wear a Suit?

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The name says it all. I'm an idiot and left my suit at home when heading back to school after winter break, so it'd be a bit of an inconvenience to get it, plus I feel like I'll look like a bit of a dolt wearing a suit for a virtual interview. The alternative is a nice shirt/sweater/slacks combo.

If it matters, the interview is with the Sierra Club.

Unpaid position? You should wear a suit top at least, but if you left it somewhere inconvenient I think you'd be okay wearing a sweater. You sure you can't just borrow a button down and a tie and only show your upper body?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:03 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The name says it all. I'm an idiot and left my suit at home when heading back to school after winter break, so it'd be a bit of an inconvenience to get it, plus I feel like I'll look like a bit of a dolt wearing a suit for a virtual interview. The alternative is a nice shirt/sweater/slacks combo.

Unpaid position? You should wear a suit top at least, but if you left it somewhere inconvenient I think you'd be okay wearing a sweater. You sure you can't just borrow a button down and a tie and only show your upper body?

Somehow borrowing never occurred to me. I'm sure I could, but the fit might look absurd--all of my friends at LS are either much taller, much shorter, or much fatter. Also I have plenty of button downs, I'd just need to borrow a tie/jacket.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 pm

i would go with something a little more casual

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Somehow borrowing never occurred to me. I'm sure I could, but the fit might look absurd--all of my friends at LS are either much taller, much shorter, or much fatter. Also I have plenty of button downs, I'd just need to borrow a tie/jacket.

Just do that. It's not going to be super obvious that it's not your suit:

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Jacket length and arm length dont matter, as long as the shoulder fits (and maybe chest too).

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:19 am

For Sierra Club? You'd be fine in a nice dress shirt. But if you want to be extra conservative, borrow a tie.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:24 am

Sierra Club? Enjoy promoting eugenics, bro.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:59 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:32 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Sierra Club? Enjoy promoting eugenics, bro.

2L OCI:

Biglaw partner: "So, you worked for the Sierra Club during your 1L summer?"

OP: "Yeah, it was great! Blah blah save the trees blah blah blah."

Biglaw partner: (auto-dings OP)

Thank goodness I'm not really interested in BigLaw.

On a serious note, what's with the bad reputation they seem to have here? They're one of the most conservative, or at least reasonable, environmental groups. Greenpeace I can see being an auto-ding, but the Sierra Club?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:10 pm

I was mainly talking about this scholarship:

Ehrlich argues that as the existing population was not being fed adequately, and as it was growing rapidly it was unreasonable to expect sufficient improvements in food production to feed everyone. He further argued that the growing population placed escalating strains on all aspects of the natural world.

In answer to the question, "what needs to be done?" he wrote, "We must rapidly bring the world population under control, reducing the growth rate to zero or making it negative. Conscious regulation of human numbers must be achieved" . . . . Ehrlich floats the idea of adding "temporary sterilants" to the water supply or staple foods . . . . He suggests incentives for men who agree to permanent sterilization before they have two children, as well as a variety of other monetary incentives. He proposes a powerful Department of Population and Environment which "should be set up with the power to take whatever steps are necessary to establish a reasonable population size in the United States and to put an end to the steady deterioration of our environment." The department should support research into population control, such as better contraceptives, mass sterilizing agents, and prenatal sex discernment (because families often continue to have children until a male is born. Ehrlich suggested that if they could choose a male child this would reduce the birthrate).

The Population Bomb was written at the suggestion of David Brower the executive director of the environmentalist Sierra Club, and Ian Ballantine of Ballantine Books following various public appearances Ehrlich had made regarding population issues and their relation to the environment.

Return to “Legal Employment”