Slacker nervous about law firm opportunity Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Slacker nervous about law firm opportunity

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:57 pm

So I guess this is a good problem to have. For a variety of reasons including clinical depression which I have been treated for (and am doing better, thankfully), I slacked off during 1L got below median grades, and didn't learn jack from LRW, winged the memo. Gunning for whatever shitlaw, PI, government stuff that I could get in nyc. Was at government agency 1L summer, sat around and didn't really work too hard.

For 2L summer, looking into more of the same, but a connection is pretty eager to put me into a small/mid size firm. This is a great opportunity and I really want to impress the people at the firm if I can get this, but I am a little worried that I don't know how to produce good work product.

How do I make up for this and use this semester to improve my grades AND prepare myself to be a dillegent, responsible, blue-booking SA?

gdane

Diamond

Re: Slacker nervous about law firm opportunity

Post by gdane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:01 pm

You're almost certainly not going to be doing any blue booking.

Just work hard. When given an assignment always ask, how would you like this done?, by when do you need it?, do you have any suggestions on where to start?. Always be on the lookout for work from everyone. Don't just sit around waiting for someone to give you something to do. Be proactive.

Just relax and...do good work. No other way to say it.

NYstate

Gold

Re: Slacker nervous about law firm opportunity

Post by NYstate » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I guess this is a good problem to have. For a variety of reasons including clinical depression which I have been treated for (and am doing better, thankfully), I slacked off during 1L got below median grades, and didn't learn jack from LRW, winged the memo. Gunning for whatever shitlaw, PI, government stuff that I could get in nyc. Was at government agency 1L summer, sat around and didn't really work too hard.

For 2L summer, looking into more of the same, but a connection is pretty eager to put me into a small/mid size firm. This is a great opportunity and I really want to impress the people at the firm if I can get this, but I am a little worried that I don't know how to produce good work product.

How do I make up for this and use this semester to improve my grades AND prepare myself to be a dillegent, responsible, blue-booking SA?
What kind of firm? What kind of work?

Edit:I would give more specific info based on whether corp or lit, but this is the basics:

One thing to do is familiarize yourself with the basic documents that the firm typically uses. This is so you know the structure and substance of general documents that the firm produces. You can look at PLI and CLE stuff for that. Another thing to do is to work extremely carefully and make sure your work is flawless. No one cares if you don't know anything much substantive, but make sure it looks good. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need guidance. When you get an assignment, make sure to get a time that it is due. If the attorney doesn't offer one, you have to set this up yourself by telling them when you will get back with initial results (if its research, so you can see if you are on the right track) or with a draft. Stay on top of deadlines and try to finish earlier than your promised, you will probably always need extra time.

You probably have problems with procrastinating. Don't do this. Don't think that you will just get to something later. Do it now. Deadlines get moved up.(they get moved back too, but that won't hurt you) You don't want to get in the habit of waiting for adrenaline of a deadline to kick in to get work done. It is a bad habit and hard to break.

Be personable and easy to work with. Never complain about anything. Treat the support staff well. Fit into the firm's culture and don't act like you don't belong. Never mention being lazy or your grades.

Edit 2: You will be more motivated when you know the work isn't some academic exercise. Real clients will make the work more interesting even if you hated legal writing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”