2L at MVP - Go for Masters?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L at MVP - Go for Masters?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:01 pm

I am a 2L at MVP, I was below median during 1L had a few call backs during OCI but couldn't make anything happen. I killed it my first semester of 2L and raised my GPA over .3 points to median. Hopefully I can jump it up a few more points this semester. That being said, I applied and was accepted into a Masters of Computer Science program and without biglaw for my 2L summer, I am wondering if I should accept and get the degree (become patent bar eligible). Hope is that it will make me more attractive to some IP offices and firms? Any thoughts? I have work experience in programming but just never bothered to get a degree in the field. It will also probably give me another summer to find a biglaw firm for a summer associate position. I would love to work in IP but as most of you know without the STEM background it is a difficult field to break into.

itbdvorm

Re: 2L at MVP - Go for Masters?

Postby itbdvorm » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L at MVP, I was below median during 1L had a few call backs during OCI but couldn't make anything happen. I killed it my first semester of 2L and raised my GPA over .3 points to median. Hopefully I can jump it up a few more points this semester. That being said, I applied and was accepted into a Masters of Computer Science program and without biglaw for my 2L summer, I am wondering if I should accept and get the degree (become patent bar eligible). Hope is that it will make me more attractive to some IP offices and firms? Any thoughts? I have work experience in programming but just never bothered to get a degree in the field. It will also probably give me another summer to find a biglaw firm for a summer associate position. I would love to work in IP but as most of you know without the STEM background it is a difficult field to break into.

better idea - get the masters, go be a programmer.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L at MVP, I was below median during 1L had a few call backs during OCI but couldn't make anything happen. I killed it my first semester of 2L and raised my GPA over .3 points to median. Hopefully I can jump it up a few more points this semester. That being said, I applied and was accepted into a Masters of Computer Science program and without biglaw for my 2L summer, I am wondering if I should accept and get the degree (become patent bar eligible). Hope is that it will make me more attractive to some IP offices and firms? Any thoughts? I have work experience in programming but just never bothered to get a degree in the field. It will also probably give me another summer to find a biglaw firm for a summer associate position. I would love to work in IP but as most of you know without the STEM background it is a difficult field to break into.

solid plan. but keep in mind that IP hiring is different than most, i.e., lots of offers for 3Ls for a full-time job because firms have specific urgent needs, which means you still get another shot at OCI as 3L.

smc44

Postby smc44 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Just a heads up, getting a graduate degree in Computer Science will not make you patent bar eligible. Perhaps the courses you take will help you become eligible, but the degree itself will not.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:56 pm

smc44 wrote:

Just a heads up, getting a graduate degree in Computer Science will not make you patent bar eligible. Perhaps the courses you take will help you become eligible, but the degree itself will not.

Yup, smc is right. Your masters program would have to fulfill requirements under sections B or C. Clickity here (LinkRemoved)

linda90

Postby linda90 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:02 pm

OP, I have undergone exactly the same process a couple years ago. If you are interested, please PM and I am happy to answer any questions you have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:05 am

Thank you for all the feedback. In undergrad I accumulated 30 credits in science/computer science courses (I liked physics :/). I believe that coupled with the credits I would earn from the Masters would push me over the 40 required credits.

Return to “Legal Employment”