San Francisco Biglaw Associate taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mpaasky

Re: San Francisco Biglaw Associate taking questions

Postby mpaasky » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for doing this AMA. Here is a question I posted earlier:

Hi All,
As part of the hiring package, I have been offered a bar study stipend in additions to the bar registration fee and review course. As you can see, I won't actually start working until several months after taking the bar. Do you know if I have to wait until my first actual paycheck before seeing this money? Or, do firms normally write people a check earlier, before the actual employment starts? if so, do you know when do they usually send out the money(s)?
For your references, I am taking the May-July course, for the July exam, and my starting date in late Oct/early Nov.
Thanks,
Mpaasky
(SF Area BigLaw New Hire)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 am

mpaasky wrote:Thanks for doing this AMA. Here is a question I posted earlier:

Hi All,
As part of the hiring package, I have been offered a bar study stipend in additions to the bar registration fee and review course. As you can see, I won't actually start working until several months after taking the bar. Do you know if I have to wait until my first actual paycheck before seeing this money? Or, do firms normally write people a check earlier, before the actual employment starts? if so, do you know when do they usually send out the money(s)?
For your references, I am taking the May-July course, for the July exam, and my starting date in late Oct/early Nov.
Thanks,
Mpaasky
(SF Area BigLaw New Hire)

You do not have to wait to see this money, to the best of my knowledge. None of my friends did. I had to buy my bar course and then was reimbursed plus given a stipend. It came around April.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, thanks for doing this, man.

I'm roughly top quarter at CCN so far as a 1L (although one semester's not exactly dispositive) and hope to do corporate work in the Bay Area after graduation. I grew up and did my undergrad in LA, but my parents and extended family now live in San Francisco. Is that enough for ties, and how much does coming from a non-west coast law school hurt my odds? If I end up at or slightly above median after second semester, can I reasonably expect to have a decent chance at a San Francisco firm?

Also, as far as transactional work, which firms tend to specialize in various corporate law fields (private equity, venture capital, M&A, etc.)?

Wanted to bring this back up. Thanks, man!

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Just here because it's a San Francisco thread and I like to have opinions on things relating to San Francisco

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey, thanks for doing this, man.

I'm roughly top quarter at CCN so far as a 1L (although one semester's not exactly dispositive) and hope to do corporate work in the Bay Area after graduation. I grew up and did my undergrad in LA, but my parents and extended family now live in San Francisco. Is that enough for ties, and how much does coming from a non-west coast law school hurt my odds? If I end up at or slightly above median after second semester, can I reasonably expect to have a decent chance at a San Francisco firm?

Also, as far as transactional work, which firms tend to specialize in various corporate law fields (private equity, venture capital, M&A, etc.)?

Wanted to bring this back up. Thanks, man!

No problem! As to your first question, I think family in SF is ties enough for most attorneys. If you're top third after 1L, I think going into OCI you'll have a very strong shot at SF if you apply widely (but don't just apply to SF - apply NYC or LA as well). I don't think coming from a non-Berkeley/Stanford school, which is really the advantage as opposed to a "west coast law school," will hurt you with demonstrated ties and a strong law school performance.

As far as general corporate specialties, I'd check out Chambers & Associates if you haven't already. This is, again, sort of outside my knowledge base. But, from what I hear from friends, Latham has a strong corporate group, as does Fenwick, Wilson, MoFo, and Davis Polk (though, obviously, some of those are in the Valley). Kirkland has a strong PE group. The general players in venture capital will be the usual suspects, I imagine: Fenwick, Cooley, Wilson, etc. Sorry not to be more helpful, but I never considered doing corporate work.

Return to “Legal Employment”