Appellate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lnh819

Bronze

Appellate Law

Post by lnh819 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:40 pm

I am a 1L who is interested in going into appellate law post-graduation. Is it possible to get a job in that area right out of law school? What classes would be most helpful? Do grades matter? I know that I should try to do Moot Court and/or a journal so I'm looking for more specific advice than that, if possible. Thanks!

stillwater

Gold

Re: Appellate Law

Post by stillwater » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 pm

lnh819 wrote:I am a 1L who is interested in going into appellate law post-graduation. Is it possible to get a job in that area right out of law school? What classes would be most helpful? Do grades matter? I know that I should try to do Moot Court and/or a journal so I'm looking for more specific advice than that, if possible. Thanks!
Grades always matter. This field of law will be more likely if you are COA clerk, etc. So one of the big questions is where you go to school.

lnh819

Bronze

Post by lnh819 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 pm

I go to a regional TTT(T) and will probably end up around the middle of my class by graduation.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:14 pm

lnh819 wrote:I go to a regional TTT(T) and will probably end up around the middle of my class by graduation.
Depends on what you mean by "appellate law." If you mean you want to be working on issues that go to SCOTUS, you're almost certainly fried. That field is dominated by a very small bar of highly respected figures, previous SCOTUS clerks, and people who know very important people.

If you mean you want to work in private practice on appellate issues that go to state and federal courts of appeals, that can mean a LOT of things. Big commercial appeals are usually handled by BigLaw firms or by appellate boutiques that also incredibly competitive to break into. People who do smaller (but still lucrative) appeals typically are alumni of the former group and wanted a better work-life balance. If you want to do very small appeals, it is going to be a tough time making money off it.

If you mean doing appeals in a local government position, that can be doable. More about connections and showing a demonstrated interest. For instance, working in an appellate position at a District Attorney's office. This is about hustling and writing well.

lnh819

Bronze

Post by lnh819 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Thanks for the advice, Citizen Genet!

The local ADA is apparently looking for an appellate prosecutor. Something like that might be a good option in a few years. Right now, I'm hustling for any sort of judicial internship in my town during the summer. Hopefully, I get one - maybe even in an appellate court - and can start cultivating some contacts at the local courthouse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:20 pm

I've done stints in exclusive appellate (criminal) lit and currently work in (BigLaw) civil litigation - mostly trial with some appeals mixed in. What attracts you to appellate lit? Are you interested in civil or criminal, or just criminal?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”