Is Mexico City a bad idea?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is Mexico City a bad idea?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm a 2L with no SA. I don't have a huge desire to work for a firm or do litigation. In an ideal world I'd be a compliance officer or working in-house but those are next to impossible to do right off the bat. I have no idea what I'll be doing this summer yet - I have some leads and places I'm waiting to hear back from, as well as an offer to work for a federal agency's administrative law judges, but no firms. Today I got an offer from a firm I had randomly applied to, in Mexico City. Should I accept? It's only a 6 week position, but is a foreign SA position better than no SA at all? I want to keep my employment options open later, and I'm getting a little worried that a SA is the end-all be-all for any type of future legal employment.

Honestly, I'm a bit concerned about safety in Mexico City, being a small blonde woman, and I don't know which group I'd be in, or really what I'd be doing at all at the firm. I get a housing stipend but wouldn't be paid - not a huge deal, but something worth considering. Thoughts?

splitsplat

Re: Is Mexico City a bad idea?

Postby splitsplat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Is it a large American firm with a satellite office in Mexico City or just a random Mexican law firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:12 pm

splitsplat wrote:Is it a large American firm with a satellite office in Mexico City or just a random Mexican law firm?

Pretty sure it's just a random Mexican law firm. They represent multinationals doing business in Mexico, but that's about it. I'm not too thrilled about it, but I also don't think I have too much room to turn the offer down. Not a whole lot of options at this point...

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Instead of buying suits, concentrate on buying bullet proof vests. Hell, see if you can match with the suits to create a nice three-piece.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:58 pm

If it's your only option and you don't live like you're rich I can't imagine killing you would benefit the drug cartels. Is it also definitely legitimate? I can see Nigerian scammers getting smarter...

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:01 pm

In all seriousness, the US doesn't consider Mexico City dangerous for Americans. Roughly the equivalent of Philadelphia in terms of murder rate.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 pm

I understand 0Ls aren't really allowed in here, but I just wanted to mention that Mexico City is much safer than a few American cities, imo. There are other dangers, but murder-wise, its rate is lower than NO, Detroit, STL, Baltimore, and DC among others.

It's not Juarez.

Also, there are a lot of blonde women in Mexico, the vast majority of whom are Mexican.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
splitsplat wrote:Is it a large American firm with a satellite office in Mexico City or just a random Mexican law firm?

Pretty sure it's just a random Mexican law firm. They represent multinationals doing business in Mexico, but that's about it. I'm not too thrilled about it, but I also don't think I have too much room to turn the offer down. Not a whole lot of options at this point...

I would stay in the US and work for the administrative judges. This doesn't sound like a job that will benefit you. I have no idea why they would expect you to work for free. You aren't going to get good references or experience there.

EZ as AsDf

Postby EZ as AsDf » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm not sure about long term safety, but I am an adventurer and once ended up in Mexico City on my way to study abroad. I was only there for two days but I didn't die. I went out at night and ate from the street vendors, walked around all kinds, and even went to a club. I also spoke very little Spanish but I got along alright... This was near the federal plaza somewhere.

Of course... going to Mexico will bring an awesome experience for you that you will easily be able to talk about in an interview.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Mexico city is really safe as long as you don't go into the obviously shitty areas and absolutely one of the world's great cities. And the people are insanely nice.

I don't even understand how this is a question. I would love to work in the DF. Get a sweet pad in Coyoacan for the summer, count your blessings. Beats the fuck out of NYC in the summer.

Edit: Would you terribly mind PMing me the firm?

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:39 pm

An unpaid 6 week summer associateship in Mexico isn't likely to throw open doors elsewhere later. People say they're the best summer gigs because (a) they often pay like 3 grand+ per week, which is ridiculous and Shakespeare got to get paid, son and (b) they can sometimes lead to full time employment themselves.

(a) definitely isn't true and (b) doesn't sound too likely either. Do it if you have a legitimate interest in the experience, but it doesn't otherwise sound like a great opportunity.

All of this of course begs the question how you stumbled into a 6 week unpaid summer associateship if you weren't pretty sure you wanted one.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:An unpaid 6 week summer associateship in Mexico isn't likely to throw open doors elsewhere later. People say they're the best summer gigs because (a) they often pay like 3 grand+ per week, which is ridiculous and Shakespeare got to get paid, son and (b) they can sometimes lead to full time employment themselves.

(a) definitely isn't true and (b) doesn't sound too likely either. Do it if you have a legitimate interest in the experience, but it doesn't otherwise sound like a great opportunity.

+1 to this. At this point the offer doesn't sound like an SA, at least not how an SA is normally defined. If you would like to work for this firm (which doesn't seem likely based off your post) and it has a chance to turn into a full time offer then you should take it. Even if you didn't want to work for the firm but would be willing to, and there was a chance that it would turn into a full time offer, then there might be an argument to taking it if you feel it is your best chance at a postgrad job. But since it seems like you have no desire to work in Mexico I don't see why you would take this job over the ALJ.

2 things to add: (1) the SA ship, and big law with it, has almost certainly sailed at this point, but (2) SAs are not the be all and all. Most law grads do not get SAs and most grads get their jobs outside of the SA process. Not getting an SA has made biglaw very difficult, but it doesn't mean that you won't be able to find a legal job.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:49 am

This might be a dumb question, but did they even interview you? Skype? It doesn't really seem like they're investing in you as a potential full-time employee.

Return to “Legal Employment”