Financial/Securities Regulation Work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Financial/Securities Regulation Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Have a question for any practicing attorneys. I'm currently working in complex civil litigation at a midsize firm (have less than 1 year's experience since graduating). The firm does a lot of products liability/toxic tort. These practice areas aren't ideal for me, and my true interest is in financial/securities regulation. I'm guessing it's very difficult to get into this practice area, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on things I could do to move toward it?

I've noticed a lot of biglaw firms have financial reg groups, but given my current work experience and law school stats, I don't think I'm competitive at this point for large firm hiring. I do have an undergraduate business degree, but soft business (marketing) and not finance. Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed?

Re: Financial/Securities Regulation Work

Postby gulcregret » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:49 pm

You need to spin whatever experience you have into skills that would translate into the financial regulatory groups. It's a huge growth field right now in DC and NY. Compliance is booming and companies are beginning to shift some dollars from litigation to compliance. You should also be able to draft a cover letter that succinctly states why you want to do financial regulatory work. Try not to start looking before you are a) barred and b) have a year of practicing experience. Firms tend to hire in the fall after they get final numbers on who is coming in and where they are going.

Civil litigation can be great training for regulatory investigations and securities litigation, generally. Do you have any practice area experience that could be spun into financial regulation. Government investigation experience?

Return to “Legal Employment”