Stupid question: facial hair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Easy-E

Stupid question: facial hair

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:58 pm

I've been wearing a neat, even beard for about a year now. It's not patchy, it's not over grown, and it doesn't have live birds in it. That said, I have to shave it for an interview right?

Cal Trask

Re: Stupid question: facial hair

Postby Cal Trask » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:04 pm

emarxnj wrote:I've been wearing a neat, even beard for about a year now. It's not patchy, it's not over grown, and it doesn't have live birds in it. That said, I have to shave it for an interview right?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=144568

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I've been wearing a neat, even beard for about a year now. It's not patchy, it's not over grown, and it doesn't have live birds in it. That said, I have to shave it for an interview right?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=144568

Thanks man.

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:15 pm

No problem. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 am

The linked thread is good advice, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

I just went through OCI from CCN with a beard and don't regret it at all. I did well in interviews/over-performed my gpa and (though I can't be sure) I think the beard helped by making me look and feel more confident and comfortable. I agree that it's taking a risk—there might be one or two firms who ding you for the beard. But, for me, a confidence boost in all my interviews was worth the risk in an interview or two. So, my advice would be to go for it if you think the beard helps you feel more confident; feeling your best can really make a difference.

That said, since I kept my beard I did everything else absolutely conservatively—I followed the advice from the mega thread (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=63606&start=4950) basically to the letter. I figure that you can break from the standard rules in one or two ways without raising eyebrows. For me that was the beard, so I kept shoes/tie/suit/shits absolutely standard.

tl;dr: beards can be worth it for a confidence boost if you dress conservatively in every other way.

wons

Postby wons » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 pm

My uncle, an older biglaw partner, views it as an auto-ding - his view is that you should know there's a 10% risk you'll tick someone off, so if you keep it anyway, that shows bad judgment and he doesn't want you at his firm, even though he personally doesn't care about a beard. I think that is some crazy, circular BS, but the fact that folks like that are out there should be enough to make you shave it.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The linked thread is good advice, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

I just went through OCI from CCN with a beard and don't regret it at all. I did well in interviews/over-performed my gpa and (though I can't be sure) I think the beard helped by making me look and feel more confident and comfortable. I agree that it's taking a risk—there might be one or two firms who ding you for the beard. But, for me, a confidence boost in all my interviews was worth the risk in an interview or two. So, my advice would be to go for it if you think the beard helps you feel more confident; feeling your best can really make a difference.

That said, since I kept my beard I did everything else absolutely conservatively—I followed the advice from the mega thread (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=4950) basically to the letter. I figure that you can break from the standard rules in one or two ways without raising eyebrows. For me that was the beard, so I kept shoes/tie/suit/shits absolutely standard.

tl;dr: beards can be worth it for a confidence boost if you dress conservatively in every other way.

Honestly, I feel more comfortable with it. I have pretty light skin, and dark hair, so without I've always felt like my face was just this big white wall. I think it gives me a more "even" appearance if that makes sense. Everyone except my mother seems to think it looks great. I know how to dress myself for an interview, definitely better than I've seen any of my classmates, so I'm good there.

I should mention this upcoming interview is for a prosecutors office, not a firm.

wons wrote:

My uncle, an older biglaw partner, views it as an auto-ding - his view is that you should know there's a 10% risk you'll tick someone off, so if you keep it anyway, that shows bad judgment and he doesn't want you at his firm, even though he personally doesn't care about a beard. I think that is some crazy, circular BS, but the fact that folks like that are out there should be enough to make you shave it.

Like I said above, it's not a firm interview FWIW. That 10% chance is what worries me. But on the other hand, I would just want to grow it back afterwards, so would it be viewed poorly later if I showed up to work with a beard that I didn't have at the interview. Also, do I really want to work somewhere that has such a problem with a clean, well-kept beard? I know it's not really the time to be picky when it comes to legal work, but it's just something that pops into my mind. I guess I'll decide tonight,

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:33 pm

You know, the "beard or not to beard" question is highly subjective, and honestly it may just depend on the culture of where you work. For the first few years I never bearded just because I was new and felt it didn't look professional. But as time went by and I noticed more senior attorneys wearing beards I eventually said screw it and bearded it. The key is to look like it's intentional and trimmed. My personal biggest obstacle was the whole "trimming" thing - in the past, I'd either just grow it like a madman or or shave it off, but never trimmed it. It's "growing" on me now though.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:37 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:My personal biggest obstacle was the whole "trimming" thing - in the past, I'd either just grow it like a madman or or shave it off, but never trimmed it. It's "growing" on me now though.

Let the mustache be your guide. When it touches your lower lip, time to trim the whole beard with a #2 guard. (I actually use that as my cue to get a haircut as well).

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:57 pm

About to do a PD interview next week with a small, neatly trimmed handlebar mustache and neatly trimmed goatee. In every interview I've had so far (with the exception of JAG where I shaved) it has been positively commented on. Of course, this was all southwest... So we'll see how it flies on the east coast. Ill update you if you like.

Return to “Legal Employment”