Continue secondary journal for 3L if you struck out at OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Continue secondary journal for 3L if you struck out at OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Am on a secondary journal at my T14 2L year. I didn't get an editorial position for 3L so I'll still be a cite-checking bitch. I really want to just drop the journal cause I'm bitter about not getting an ed board position. Or should I stay just so I can use it to pad my resume?

Just for context: I struck out at OCI so I'll be job searching the whole year most likely.

Be kind, TLS. I'm majorly depressed right now.

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: Continue secondary journal for 3L if you struck out at OCI?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am on a secondary journal at my T14 2L year. I didn't get an editorial position for 3L so I'll still be a cite-checking bitch. I really want to just drop the journal cause I'm bitter about not getting an ed board position. Or should I stay just so I can use it to pad my resume?

Just for context: I struck out at OCI so I'll be job searching the whole year most likely.

Be kind, TLS. I'm majorly depressed right now.

How long does it take you to cite-check?

Also, T14 Int'l J. Pol., Member 2012-2013, on your resume works almost as well as "T14 Int'l J. Pol., Member."

In case I was not clear, you can still "pad" your resume with your membership without having to stay on.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Northwestern puts it on your transcript that you quit. Which is embarrassing. I'd check to see if that would happen.

Honestly, just do a shitty job at cite checking. I never opened up the bluebook, just did it from poor memory.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern puts it on your transcript that you quit. Which is embarrassing. I'd check to see if that would happen.

Honestly, just do a shitty job at cite checking. I never opened up the bluebook, just did it from poor memory.

This. Let the gunners do the grunt work they signed up for. Ideally, your 3L journal work will be less than 30 hours over the course of 3L.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern puts it on your transcript that you quit. Which is embarrassing. I'd check to see if that would happen.

Yeah this is what I was going to say. At NU there's enough academic shame and scarlet lettering involved that it's better just to stay on.

I'm less casual/more neurotic than DF and would still put in a good faith effort on my source & cites, though. (My journal has a pretty light workload.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Go to westlaw classic and set the database to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, and UPenn's Law Review. Then just search the basics for a citation and copy the format. Make sure you use google to pull up the pdf version as westlaw kills the formatting.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Go to westlaw classic and set the database to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, and UPenn's Law Review. Then just search the basics for a citation and copy the format. Make sure you use google to pull up the pdf version as westlaw kills the formatting.

How is that not twice as hard as using a bluebook. If you cited checked during 2L you can get close enough for journal work by memory.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How is that not twice as hard as using a bluebook. If you cited checked during 2L you can get close enough for journal work by memory.

Well, for any international stuff or session law stuff, you can find the precise citation in about 2 minutes. If you were to use the bluebook, it could take 10 minutes just to find what appears to be (maybe) the right rule.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:22 pm

From my experience, you can get away with a TON of slacking off before you stand a real chance of getting kicked off. I had someone ignore every email I sent to them, didn't do the assignment I gave them, and didn't show up to the meeting I scheduled, and the EIC still didn't take any action what-so-ever

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Stay on. Journals often have alumni that you can get in touch with. Four people off of my journal got summer jobs that turned into offers. Sure, it's not biglaw, but still a job. How did they get the job? By being a member of the journal and getting in touch with alumni.

Connections dude. Always be aware of where they are, where they could be, and how to use them.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:28 pm

k
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:02 pm

OP here, thanks for the advice everyone and for being nice about it!

Looks like I will stay on, albeit resentfully...

Return to “Legal Employment”