Had good grades, got a summer position, then got a B-...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CarlaBee

Had good grades, got a summer position, then got a B-...

Postby CarlaBee » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:49 am

I have a position this summer at a V5 and was wondering if a bad grade this last semester will hurt my chances of an offer at the end of the summer. Does anyone know? I still have a 3.65 overall, but my school has a seemingly high curve so I don't know where it puts me.

Thanks!

brotherdarkness

Re: Had good grades, got a summer position, then got a B-...

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:59 am

brotherdarkness wrote:This topic has been beaten to death. You'll probably be fine so long as you do good work this summer. Pout really, would anyone's answer make you do anything differently? You can't change the past, so try to crush this semester and, more importantly, bust ass this summer.

don't listen to this idiot. i pulled up my spreadsheet from last year - haven't updated with this year's stats but you are not looking good, bro.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:02 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:39 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
patogordo wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:This topic has been beaten to death. You'll probably be fine so long as you do good work this summer. Pout really, would anyone's answer make you do anything differently? You can't change the past, so try to crush this semester and, more importantly, bust ass this summer.

don't listen to this idiot. i pulled up my spreadsheet from last year - haven't updated with this year's stats but you are in trouble.

It's posts like this that cause panic amongst 2Ls, so please stop. A 4.0+ is fucked outside the V10? Stop trolling the on topics.

Yeah, everyone knows that you're fine as long as you get a 4.0.

In all seriousness, you're fine, OP. Work hard, keep your grades solid, and don't worry.

Postby 06102016 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:54 am

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:20 pm

slackademic wrote:Next person who trolls in here gets b&.

Serious question: what's the line between joking and trolling? That post was clearly a joke. (and a good one too, the use of "vault tier" and then V# was fantastic.)

No need to keep your finger on the button lest someone make a joke on top-law-schools.com/forums

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Seriously just bc some ppl are too dense to take a joke? The problem on TLS isn't the jokers, it's the audience...

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:25 pm

smaug wrote:

Serious question: what's the line between joking and trolling? That post was clearly a joke. (and a good one too, the use of "vault tier" and then V# was fantastic.)

No need to keep your finger on the button lest someone make a joke on top-law-schools.com/forums

Sometimes a good joke (or, in this case, fomenting insurrection among the 2Ls) is worth a ban. We can all use some time off now and then.

Postby 06102016 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:37 pm

wiz

Postby wiz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:14 pm

smaug wrote:

Yeah, the spreadsheet was great. I think as long as you're funny, you should be allowed to do your thing. Even if the 2Ls of this site are now running around in a state of PANIC.

OP, you do realize that 4/5 of the V5 has a 100% offer rate, right? You're fine.

CarlaBee

Postby CarlaBee » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies! I know I am probably over-obsessing and that there's nothing that can be done about it now, but I just wanted some assurance that one bad grade won't completely screw me over later. And luckily, I was never interested in clerking.

(And also, completely didn't mind the joke. It made me chuckle.)

CarlaBee

Postby CarlaBee » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 pm

wiz wrote:
smaug wrote:

Yeah, the spreadsheet was great. I think as long as you're funny, you should be allowed to do your thing. Even if the 2Ls of this site are now running around in a state of PANIC.

OP, you do realize that 4/5 of the V5 has a 100% offer rate, right? You're fine.

Sorry, just saw this post. Which V5 doesn't have a 100% offer rate? I *think* mine does (at least, based on my research last summer), but I'm just curious.

wiz

Postby wiz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:26 pm

CarlaBee wrote:
wiz wrote:
smaug wrote:

Sorry, just saw this post. Which V5 doesn't have a 100% offer rate? I *think* mine does (at least, based on my research last summer), but I'm just curious.

Skadden, which was like 98% firm-wide last year. Still a 100% offer rate for their NY office (no offers were in small satellites, according to NALP). As you said, there's nothing you can do about it now, but you should feel pretty confident since 100% of the NY V5 SA class last year got offers (that said, idk if cold offering is/was a thing).

Seriously though, relax. Enjoy your last half of law school. You'll have plenty of time to be neurotic and work yourself to death in 1.5 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Hey, Penn 2l too, Similar situation. Except add about 190 after the V and you will reach my firm. Neway I was wondering which class you got the B-. Had a similar grade last semester wondering if same. Can put hint to professor name if you like

Return to “Legal Employment”