Stupid question - free laptop for 2L SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mcs268

Stupid question - free laptop for 2L SA?

Postby mcs268 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Soo I'm debating on whether or not to buy a new laptop (running a fall 2010 macbook, but trackpad is broken so i can only use touch mode, its heavier than the new models with my law school books, has a cd drive i don't use). but I heard for some 2L SA's they provide you with a laptop. Is this generally true, and would you get to keep it? basically if im potentially getting a free laptop soon, its not worth shelving out the +1K.

Wholigan

Re: Stupid question - free laptop for 2L SA?

Postby Wholigan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:41 pm

I have never heard of a firm giving summer associates laptops they can keep. At most firms, you will be working at the desktop in your office.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm

My work computer is a laptop. Obviously you wouldn't get to keep it after your SA though.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:16 pm

mcs268 wrote:Soo I'm debating on whether or not to buy a new laptop (running a fall 2010 macbook, but trackpad is broken so i can only use touch mode, its heavier than the new models with my law school books, has a cd drive i don't use). but I heard for some 2L SA's they provide you with a laptop. Is this generally true, and would you get to keep it? basically if im potentially getting a free laptop soon, its not worth shelving out the +1K.

I know of at least law firm that provides summer associates with lap tops that they can take home to do work (though I think it is discouraged). No, you don't get to keep it, it is firm property. You have to return it after the summer.

mcs268

Postby mcs268 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks all! looks like im getting a new computer lol.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:51 pm

buy a laptop, don't spend $1000

Return to “Legal Employment”